Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

since I can't get XL Reds -- looking for non-steel strings for a graphite neck

JES

Hi All,

Short version: I used to live and die by D'Addario XL Reds, and if they were still around, I'd still use them. They had that perfect piano-like tone for me -- ringy and melodic but not clangy. Anyone know of a similar sounding string?

Long version: so it's time to restring my main bass -- a Modulus with the graphite neck and composite fignerboard. I got it because I like the sound of picked basses but prefer to play with my fingers. So the graphite gives me a nice attack with fingers. BUT, I've been using steel strings for years on other basses and on this one at first. Now I find they've got a bit more sizzle in the very-high end (like above 8K) that I don't want or need. Most recently, I tried the Dean Markley strings with the steel cores and nickel outside and they sound nice but I'm curious what others are using.

I run distortion and have been known to strum chords, so I like some roundwound bite.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

--JES

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Quantum 6 SPi and I have the D'Addario Pyramid strings on mine. I love them but MAN are they expensive! I used to use Warwick strings because they were the only ones that were long enough available where I live; they were inconsistent in their quality and the D'Addarios made my bass sound great. I have the Barts in my bass, so if you have EMG's I don't know what to suggest. I'm not a big fan of that combo.

Make sure you get the longest length in the D'addarios (as you probably know).

I use Elite 'Player series' Nickel wounds on my fretted Q4, and they sound lovely - just a little softer on the high end than the Stainless Steel ones.

On my fretless 6 string Modulus, I've got Elite flats, which sound amazing, feel great and last for over a year!! What could be better???

cheers

Steve

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

Hey Guys,

Thanks a bunch. It's great to see all the Modulus people out there. Modulusman -- I do have the EMGs, but it's an older model bass. Sounds a little different from the newer Modulii I've tried. I will check out the Pyramids and the Elites -- don't mind experimenting with strings to get the right tone. Alas, when I hit the store yesterday, all they had in nickel in the right gauge was D'Addario XLs. Since I broke a string (more on that in a moment) I broke down and bought em rather than ordering something because I need to replace the set. The good news is that they sound good without that high end steel sheen that I wasn't into. But we'll see if I like 'em after they're fully broken in.

Just a word on the Modulus bass. Ever since I got a good deal on a used Bassstar it's totally changed my relationship to bass. I do alternate tunings all the time now (that's how I broke the string), and I love the fact that the neck NEVER MOVES. Also am totally thrilled with the tone. After years of lusting after pick players' tone without wanting to use a pick, I finally have a bass that'll do it for me. Sounds like a P-bass on steroids. And the thing makes all my effects and overdrives sound better. Every musician that's heard it has complimented me on my tone. It's kind of uncanny, really.

Just thought I'd send along that rave.

Best,

--JES

Archived