Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stupid Question of the day: Double Stop?

SlimT

Please don't laugh at me!

I heard the term double stop bantered about (triple stops even) and I don't know what you all are typing about.

What is a double/triple stop?

How do you work them into your practice routines?

Are double/triple stops specific to a particular style of music or are they a general purpose technique?

TIA

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, when you practice, you stop, but then you stop again. That's a double-stop.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Okay, real answer: Double stops are two notes played together simultaneously, basically a two-note chord. (sometimes referred to as a diad). Triple stops, are 3 notes played together.

A good way to start with double stops is harmonizing a major scale up and down the neck in thirds. Play an E major scale on the D string and play the third above each note until you've completed the octave. Do this in all keys and you'll have some very useful things to work with.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Ed,

Thanks for the explanation. Years ago, someone told me double stops were the 1 and 5 notes (e.g. E and B). Which left me confused about a triple stop (although I guessed a three note chord). Years wasted in misinformation !!

Hey Dan, which part of Ed's reply are you going to try? Chords, or playing and stopping?

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Ed,

Thanks for the reply and the humor.

The answer is not what I expected. Why do they call them stops?

Maybe that should be today's stupid question of the day! ;-)

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

Archived