Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Problem with flatwounds

KAP

I just put on a new set of Dean Markley flatwound strings, and the E string (.100) sits on top of the nut, it won't fit into the slot. I didn't have this problem with a set of Fender nylon flatwounds even though the E string was .110. Non of the other strings in this set are doing this. I have a Carvin LB 70 four string, and according to Carvin the nut should be able to hold a .105. What's going on?

Also, if I need to file the nut, what kind of file should I use? I read in a previous posting that the nut should be made wider, not deeper.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Kap,

1 - Is the string bare where it goes over the nut or does it have silk on it?

2 - is the string regular or irregular as it goes over the nut?

If it is just a silk problem you can take a razor blade and cut the silk but if the string is not the same diminsion over the nut as it is in the playing area there might be the need for a new string (consult manufacturer or the store) for a replacement (try the store first)

They will send the string back for credit from the manufacturer.

One other thought, does your bass have an extra long scale or thru the body stringing?

Let me know

BassLand

BassLand

www.BassLand.net

Kap,

BTW, You must be careful with cutting (in this case widening) the nut. Aside from the width, the depth is very important. It allows your instrument to play in tune and not buzz on the open string. I would have a repairman do any modification in this area if it needs to be done.

BL

This message has been edited by BassLand on 06-14-2001 at 10:53 AM

BassLand

www.BassLand.net

I second the note of caution concerning the nut. I had a repair person do some work on my bass years ago, and I am left with a deep nut. On the E string of my short scale EB-3. Not good. I've been shimming it with paper because I'm not sure what the right material is to try to fill it.

I'm not that familiar with the different types of strings - if the manufacturing is bad I hope you can get a replacement.

Keep us updated...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Bassland,

There is no silk at the nut, and the string seems to be the same thickness above and below the nut.

I'm not comfortable with filing the nut, I was just curious in case it came to that.

Tom Cappaso - If the nut is cut too deep, try a old repair trick I learned some time ago. Super Glue to build it up, let good & dry. Then fill & shape the slop in the nut. Worked great for a lot of my friends & myself.

Just might be the fix for you.

Bobby - thanks for the tip. I'm not surprised by your comments. In a previous life I used to rebuild appliance parts. When a contact board would get burned, we would use some old board filings mixed with Super Glue to fill the spot. Never had a problem.

I'm going to re-string sometime next week - I'll give it a try.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Guess what - the problem was that they put a low B string in with the pack, not a E string. I took it back to the store and they gave me a .105 E string that goes with the set, no charge.

Thanks for the advice, bass people.

Archived