Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Expression Pedal or Volume Pedal?

SlimT

I'm looking to pick up either an expression pedal for my Zoom 506 box (mainly for volume - I haven't used any wah effect, yet). However, after looking at the reviews at harmony central, it doesn't look like the pedal Zoom sells is very good (there were some good reviews, but, a lot of bad ones).

So, if I don't really need wah control, can I just put a volume pedal in the mix?

Just one more thing, here, too. I'm trying to solve a problem with the pedal. In the latin jazz band I'm in, I don't find I've got very much dynamic range. One of the things I'm gonna do is turn it up and play much softer most of the time so that when I need to hit an accent, it comes through. I'm wondering if this is enough.

Is a volume pedal part of your standard setup, or, did you just learn to get comfortable with adjusting the volume control on the bass? (That's something that's hard for me, for some reason.)

TIA

SlimT

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SlimT

I have never used a volume pedal, but I'm sure alot of players here have and they can tell you about that, but I vary my volume by my attack. The band I play uses a lot of dynamics. I usually just set my volume to the standard level and then control my level by how I attack the strings. I read somewhere in a magazine I believe, i can't remember what or where so I cannot give proper credit, but the writer said to play with your amp and guitar (in this case) at the highest volume you will play at, and practice on varying your volume by varying your picking attack. I took this advice to heart, and I almost never adjust my volume onstage once it is set.

Remember, before amplification, upright players didn't have volume pedals, and if they did, they had no place to plug them in!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

KJ

-------------------

bari man low

KJ

-------------------

"50 million Elvis Presley fans can't be all wrong" - John Prine

I've thought about getting a volume pedal. There have been a few songs where the dynamic range varied so much that I thought a pedal would help. The thing is that it hasn't happened often enough within a song for me to really need it - I've just varied the attack, or managed to turn down the volume on my instrument. I usually find space is at a premium when I'm playing out, and I would need a gentle touch from a standing position to use the pedal effectively. I think I just talked myself out of it again...

Tom

P.S. I would like an all-purpose pedal like the 506, but I found that it lost the depth of its effect (like phasing) in the upper register, which is where I want it more ! Still waiting for enough cash to go shopping for something more exciting.

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

KJ and Tom:

Thanks for the tips! I had a rehearsal last night and was pretty happy with the results. I did turn it up to maximum volume needed and my accents weren't being drowned out! It's also easier to play when I'm playing softer! Thanks again!

Tom Capasso said:

P.S. I would like an all-purpose pedal like the 506, but I found that it lost the depth of its effect (like phasing) in the upper register, which is where I want it more ! Still waiting for enough cash to go shopping for something more exciting.

This was my first pedal. I wanted something cheap that I could use to learn what all the different effects were about. To be honest, I use it mostly as a tuner - hehehe. It is a nice little headphone amp, and I usually go direct through it to the PA for rehearsals in my friends basement. I've been experimenting with the compression and the octabase recently, just for fun. I've got a reggae gig on Saturday and I'll see if I like my new patches.

Thanks again!

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

I have no experience with the expression pedal functions of the Zoom, but I used to play with a volume pedal when I did pit work in Boston. It can be very helpful to have the extra control when you're trying to keep a Music Director off your butt for being too loud. Also, it's nice to have the bass shut off during dialog sections, but ready to go in a flash - hands free. I also liked being able to tune up silently from the tuner out side-chain. Most volume pedals WILL effect your tone though. I used the Boss passive model, and it did cut some of the signal. The Morley and other active models will make up for this with a slight signal boost.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Hi Folks,

I have a 506 for a little while, but it never really did much for me. As far as all-purpose stuff that's out there, there's a lot now. My main modulation device is a Rocktron Replifex. I have a full review of it in the Harmony-Central database, but I really love the thing. It fulfills all of my modulation needs. I use a separate distortion.

Best,

--JES

Archived