Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The best bass guitar for disco and funk under 1000$ ?

teemudeepone.org

I'm trying to get away from my synthesizer/sampler-based tracks and decided to learn something new. I've always been in love with 70's disco and funk music, especially the bass lines so I thought why not learn to play a bass guitar and be the next Bootsy Collins or Bernard Edwards? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

However, knowing nothing about the bass manufacturers or models I have no idea which one to buy. So any advice on which one to choose would be highly appreciated. Something with a 70's sound and easy to use (easy as in suitable for those fast and funky disco basslines instead of the, err, somewhat boring basslines often found in rock'n'roll)

I could shell out something like 1000 USD but I wouldn't mind if it was only 700-800. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Oh, and I'm getting a bass pod so I don't need advice for the amps, mics and stuff.

Thanks for all the help.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy from KC and The Sunshine Band has

always used, and still uses, a American

Made Fender Jazz bass.

I've heard Fender Precisions used in Funk

too. But not as clear sounding as a Jazz.

The other choice would be Music Man

Stingray. But those are over $1,000.

Unless you get one used.

Well, if you're talking about slap/funk I'd say a Jazz Bass, but much of the Disco era was recorded on a P-Bass. The chunky sound of a P-Bass being slapped is totally 70's. If you're not going to slap, the P definitely has a meaty sound to play your octave licks with. Like this one! (capital letter is root, small letter is octave)

C c C c C c C c C c A a Bb bb B b

ooon-ga ooon-ga ooon-ga ooon-ga ooon-ga ooon-ga ooon-ga ooon-ga!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

1000% Fender Jazz bass...60's or 70's vintage...and some sleepers out there.

The fender squire P bass special (jazz neck) rocks it's ass off for little $

I may have a special one...but give it a shot.

If you cannot find a squire that sounds proper...get a 77 f jazz...kindof beat up for about 450.

Rock it.

I recommend Fender jazz basses too, but with a slight twist. Get an older japanese one or a Mexican and drop some better pickups in. I put some Model J DiMarzios in, they are a split coil like a pre but in the package of a J-Bass single coil. When you solo the neck it has a great p-bass sound and no noise! The bridge soloed is pretty good too. It makes the bass slightly darker in sound generally (good and bad) and is much quieter. The Model J's are not that much either (about $120.00 in Canada).

If you don't want the sound too dark then you might consider the Ultra J pickup... you know what? THere are a LOT of pickups to chose from... look at the bass player review at the BP site.

Archived