Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Carvin RL610???????

slap master

Hey, I'm looking into buying a new stack from Carvin. It has a 2x10" cab over a 15" cab, it has a 600watt head. Both cabs are 4ohms. I'm in three bands and play gigs of 200 people more or less. Would this be a sufficient rig to get?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess...If you are into lugging around a big rig.

I use a 50 watt Tube amp with a single Tuned Altec 12 in an enclosure I built. The enclosure is tuned to 32hZ (pedal C) The whole rig weighs 55 LBS. I use a pair of Sennheiser Mics, (one at the Port 180 degrees out and one 7" from the driver) and DI to the HF. We like to keep our stage volume low. You can project into a crowd of 70,000 with this setup...and no Heavy gear. I can feel it just fine. I keep the rig about 6 feet from me. For many years I did not use a Rig at all. Just a good monitor and my effects.

For BIG TONE, IT is more the application rather than the rig.

That's fine if you are working ONLY venues with major quality PA and good sound guys doing the mix. And you have either in-ear monitors or wedges and sidefills that can deliver the tone you want to hear on stage.

But the small approach isn't realistic in most small and mid-sized clubs where the soundguy either doesn't care or doesn't know what the delivered sound is supposed to be like, and doesn't necesarily have the PA to deliver it. And it helps to have a rig ON STAGE that can deliver so that one isn't listening to tiny wedges with no bass response to speak of, or the sound off the mains relected off the back wall. And if the sound guy is not getting you above those 2 Marshall stacks enough to hear yourself at least a rig will allow you to do something about it.

<-- greenboy ---<<<<   been down that small rig path; its nice when it's given a chance to work. But when it isn't...

Archived