Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A little theory

Dr. Groove

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The differences up and down are to do with emphasising the major third of the dominant when leading back to the tonic - the Major 7th of the Melodic Minor scale is the Major third of the dominant, or V (5) chord in that key - so in Cmin, the seventh note of the melodic minor is B, which is also the third of the G7 chord that resolves back to the root. This gives a certain kind of resolution whether it's happening over a V I progression or not. On the way down, it's back to the 'natural' minor to make it actually sound more like a minor scale!! :o)

In Jazz, you'll often find the Melodic Minor scale used only in its ascending form, referred to as Melodic Minor Ascending, or Jazz Melodic Minor. A whole other set of harmony is built using the harmonised jazz melodic minor, much beloved of Bill Evans, Chick Corea, John Patitucci and a host of others...

If you want to get deeper into the jazz melodic minor, I'd recommend Mark Levine's 'The Jazz Theory Book' - which has a huge chapter just on that one set of harmony...

I hope that makes sense - if not, tell me which bits don't, and I or one of the other bright people round here will try and clarify it for you... :o)

cheers

Steve

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

Thanks for the info Steve. I bought the "Jazz Theory Book" about a month ago, but I didn't get to that chapter yet http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif Actually, I just put it aside for a while 'cause there's more info than I can handle. You could say that I had a "theory overdose". I just learned the Diatonic Major Chord Structures and its modes and I'm starting to get comfortable with it (I can play the 7 modes in any key - 2 octaves). Actually, I thought it was much more difficult (it's only 1 scale, started from another note).

I must admit that I think of patterns on the bassneck instead of notes while I'm playing. Is that bad? I can immediately play f.e. the D phrygian scale, but I can't immediately tell you what notes are in that scale (I can find out ... but it takes some time).

Once again , thanks for the info http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

FWIW, I think it's more important to know how each note in the scale/mode functions against the chord - there's more to melody/bassline construction that just mode=chord. Within each mode, the notes have different harmonic functions against the chord, and those can then be altered depending on where the chord is going. Explaining alterations from a scale/mode perspective can get tricky - if you see the mode as just being a condensed two octave arpeggio, then each note has a function and a name, and the alterations make more sense... hopefully...

knowing that what you're playing is a D or an F# or whatever is useful, but is de-contextualised. If you know that what you're playing is the #11 against the chord, or the min 3rd or whatever, then you know where you are, regardless of the note names... I hope that makes sense - let me know if it doesn't... :o)

Steve

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

You could say that I had a "theory overdose".

Dr. Groove - Theory is a deep subject, so you shouldn't attempt to digest all of it at one time. If you work consistently over time at a comfortable pace, these lessons will make begin to make more and more sense.

I must admit that I think of patterns on the bassneck instead of notes while I'm playing. Is that bad?

I used to be a "blind pattern" player. I knew that I was on the seventh or the fourth, etc., but I didn't know what note I was playing. That approach works fine for some forms of music, but I was in big trouble when I started studying jazz. I still play in "pattern mode" sometimes, but thanks to my jazz studies, I have a much better knowledge of the fretboard now, and it's opened up lots of new and interesting possibilities.

Archived