Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My AXE

After many Years as a studio bassist, My Fender Jazz (64) was ripped off 3 years ago. I walked into a shop and saw a Squire p bass special. Neck is "like" a Jazz. Split forward pickups, one below.

When I picked it up (250) ..it had a great vibe, good feel and nice balance. I have grown to love this bass for the cheap. It has plenty of dynamics, nice feel, etc... It is a viable replacement for my old 64. I would have never beleived that it would turn out this nice. The neck is made in Indonesia, and it is a pink purple color.

What do you play?...and have you ever ran into an auxilary AXE that could be your Primary if the worst happened? I did play a '65 recently..but the squire is hanging really tough.

Amazed and pleased.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bill,

As always my thoughts concern guitars since I only recently started playing bass, but I'm sure will apply to basses as well.

But with reference to Fender and Fender-style instruments my feeling is the cheaper, the better. There's no mystery to the technology anymore; and Leo originally designed these things to be mass-produced and sold inexpensively, with replaceable/interchangeable parts. The Henry Ford of electric guitars...

So, as I've proved many times, it's very possible to get an inexpensive Fender or copy - the Squier is a perfect example - that with a little tweaking , or none, will sound as good as a top-dollar, American-made, personally sweat on by Stevie Ray Vaughan model...My own tele, which I love and sounds great, is a Chandler w/an ESP neck and Fender Noiseless pickups. Total cost, with mods, about $400.00.

I'm so sorry that you lost your vintage bass, we do get attached to them. I'd be beside myself if I lost that tele. But I'd just go picking thru Teles until I found another good 'un.

Does this answer your question, or am I flogging the wrong pony again?

This message has been edited by chad on 06-06-2001 at 09:57 PM

I appreciate your response and since this one does as good as it does, I do not feel ashamed with it. I have certain musicians request certain instruments when they come to the studio, but if what I have that I think sounds very good is not good enough...well they should have brought there own AXE!

Thank you for confirming that price is not the (only) criteria for a good instrument.

I don't know where you do studio work (can you get me in? lol) but perhaps you know of a Nashville guitarist named Bill Hullett. He had a - I want to say 1953 Nocaster. VERY old, VERY vintage, VERY collectible. He'd had it long time. Well, he recently sold it, I believe there may have been a financial need. On the Telecaster discussion board (www.tdpri.com) he displayed a true pro attitude about it, saying he'd had it many years and loved it, but ultimately it was just a guitar and somebody else will have a chance to love it, and he has the opportunity to love a new guitar! (Sold it for lots and LOTS of money, too!)

What an incredibly small world!

I am in NW Arkansas (you are most welcomed to come here anytime) and my Fathers real name is Hullett. He was adopted in 1926 because of His Parents Death. We have been acquainted with the Hullett side of the Family and just 2 Months ago I found out that I am Kin to Bill Hullett (some sort of way) as well!

He is definitely the same Bill Hullett!

Financial Woes always must take precedence over the affection We have for our equipment.

Thanks For mentioning Bill Hullett. I will try to reach out via email!

In the mid-80's, I used to play guitar much more extensively than I do now. At one point, I owned a Les Paul Standard, a Strat, a Tele, a Takamine Acoustic/Electric and a St. Louis Music Company Elektra (sp?). Well, I was originally a sax player, and then I got into playing keys, so I sold off all the guitars over a period of a few years. Nobody wanted the Elektra, so I loaned it to a nephew in a thrash-metal band and went along on my merry way...

I got the Elektra back after a few years, beat all to hell. I put it in the closet while I worked on other things (musically and non-musically). About 4 years ago, I started jamming with other musicians again, and I dug out the Elektra to see how it had held up over the years. After cleaning it up a bit and doing some minor maintenance, I really got into playing the darn thing! I was amazed at its versatility and unique sound, and I still am to this day. It rocks when I need it to, and it has a sweet, clean sound that really has inspired me on many occasions, and has guided my guitar playing in new and reqarding directions.

Alas, it is starting to show its age, and the frets are in bad shape. I thought recently about getting a new(er) guitar, but two issues have held me back. I really only play guitar on my own tunes in my small home studio, and I haven't found anything that feels or sounds like this old piece of junk. I guess I will take it to a local shop in the Dallas area and ask them to restore it as much as is feasible and financially realistic. I really love this axe, and I have some very fond memories associated with it. If it turns out that I have to "put it to sleep" one day, I will mourn for a while, bury it in the backyard with the dog (the dog was already dead, by the way...I'm not into animal cruelty), and begin my search for a worthy replacement.

Sorry for the long post, but I do have a somewhat-related question. I recently bought a bass guitar at one of those nationwide music store chains. I like the way it records, but I'm not all that happy with the feel. It's one of those SG?? Ibanez things with the "phat" bass knob. I have taken it in for adjustment, but I guess I will have to return it and try again with a different brand. I'm sure you guys get asked this a bazillion times, but: can you recommend a ~$200.00-500.00 bass with a versatile sound, possibly with active electronics? I have played bass on-and-off for many years, and am not a virtuoso by any means, but I just finally got tired of trying to get a realistic bass sound out of my synths. Any advise you can provide will be greatly appreciated, and thanks for your time.

I'm not a "people" person, I'm a "thing" person.

I have an old Memphis P copy that I modified and I love it. Of course, I use my Stingray live and in the studio, but I love playing the old Memphis. It was my first bass and has been through a lot of hell with me. I can't count how many times it's fallen off a flatbed trailer/stage and kept perfect tuning or how many punk songs it's belted out or how many times it's played "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" or how many strings have been sacrificed on it. I cannot bear to part with it. Your first bass is a lot like your first love, except it doesen't run off with your best friend. You never forget it. Please tell me I'm not alone in feeling this.

You are not alone IMHO...

I have a session going on where a cat brought in a Guild guitar that is a monster. The Axe is only 2 years old..he has worn it in to the point of needing a new fret job fairly soon...but gosh!...it sounds serious...super nice and the vibe...Hooo boy!

We love our instruments...then they Love us back...totally good.

Big tone is where it is at!

Archived