Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

reggae

geoffk

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your local record shop. The grandfather of dub is Scientist. Also check out Adrian Sherwood. Sly & Robbie were the rhyddim section for many sessions.

Put the needle on the record. Listen. Play along. Note where they DON'T play. That's dub.

-David R.

-David R.

Originally posted by dxr@iname.com:

Your local record shop. The grandfather of dub is Scientist. Also check out Adrian Sherwood. Sly & Robbie were the rhyddim section for many sessions

Adrian Sherwood has made a some great records with Gary Clail and also a group called Tackhead. Very powerful, almost militant, dub.

Sly & Robbie are really shining on Grace Jones´album Nightclubbing!

Massive Attack has taken the dub to new territories, teriffic must-have albums.

Just my 2c.

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

yes I've listened to all of those records for many years...what I was looking for was something along the lines of:

this is the 'chaing kai-shek' rhythm etc and have it written out or something...but whatever...it's all good

Originally posted by geoffk:

...but whatever...it's all good

NO IT'S NOT! Some of it is bad!

OK, now that I know what you are looking for, I saw a Bob Marley video a while ago where he quickly went over some of the styles and their rhythms. Other than that, I dunno. Search the 'net, Grasshopper.

-David R.

-David R.

Well, if I may interject a shameless plug, I have written a book on Reggae bass. It's imaginatively called "Reggae Bass" http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif It's a chronological look at some of the classic lines from early ska up to dancehall. There is tab and a CD to play with. As far as dub, I didn't really go into that as my understanding of the style is it's mostly a manipulation of previously recorded material. Any of the bass lines from the book could be used in a dub mix. Maybe you just have to develop a sense of when to drop out and when to come back in.

Anyway go to www.edfriedland.com/books.html and you can see a little sample from the book complete with an MP3 of the audio track.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

A right brain way huh?

I got a couple of good ones for ya to search for at the record shop, Toots & the Maytals and of course the Wailers featuring the man, Aston "Family Man" Barret. For new wave dub and reggae try out Long Beach Dub Allstars.

As far as the book thing goes, when I started playing bass in a ska band I picked up Reggae Bass by our fearless moderator, and I found that it was a great help. Thanks Ed.

Have fun

- Fish

Geoff:

In addition to Ed's book, which I enjoyed, there is also a book of the title of:

The Reggae Riddim, by Ray Hitchins

It's subtitle is Essential Information for all reggae musicians.

The latest CD I've gotten that has turned me on is:

Burning Spear Love and Peace Live

The bass on some of those tunes is just smoking! It's also got a lot of the concepts covered by the two Book/CD combos mentioned so far. A very entertaining way to practice and learn.

I also spent about a year going to an open reggae jam and recording what they were doing, learning it, and playing it the next week. That was very helpful. The guys in the band were great about just plunkin' it out on their guitars at the beginning to make sure my phrasing was right. Check the papers for any jams out there.

hth

SlimT

It's all about the rumble.

Originally posted by dxr@iname.com:

Put the needle on the record. Listen. Play along. Note where they DON'T play. That's dub.

-David R.

Well, that's true of reggae in general but dub producers frequently pull instruments out of the mix momentarily for effect; this has in turn influenced even kinkier bass lines.

This message has been edited by d on 06-07-2001 at 08:10 PM

Archived