Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What kind of amp should i get ?

KoRnO

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What rig...hmmmm, how big is your car? Just kidding (maybe).

I would recommend checking out some local guys playing live as well as playing everything at your local music store(s). If you know any "good" players around town ask one to go with you and be a second set of ears. (tip: offer to buy them lunch http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif) It really depends on your situtation, budget, type of music, how loud is your guitar player http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif etc...

Generally you get what you pay for. I recommend SWR but thats just my opinion.

Hope that helps.

What price range are you looking at? What kind of music are you playing? What do you need or want in an amp?

You need to consider these factors. I'm assuming you don't have a lot to spend and, based on your name, I'm also assuming heavier rock. I would suggest an Ampeg combo. I'm not too familiar with them but I know they sound good and aren't too expensive. Another route would be the SWR Workingman's series. I would go with something with a little bit of power and I strongly recommend something with 2 or more speakers. This would move more air and it helps with articulation if you play chords. Even the Peavey stuff is good and it's cheap. You can get more power for the money.

Try out a few and see

I play on an ampeg b2 combo with a 15. It has served me well for about 6 years now. I play new rock creed,live godsmack ect. It sounds great for that.I hope this helps.

Your choice of amp should depend heavily on two factors: the type of music you play and the size of the places you play. If you play jazz in a small club, you need a different amp than a guy who plays rock in a medium sized club, and he needs a different amp than a guy who plays funk in a large club, and he needs a different rig than the fellow who plays pop in a hockey rink.

Beyond those two considerations, think about -

- how much you can spend

- is ruggedness a concern? (lot of time on the road?)

- is clean sound a concern? (for studio work)

- is size and weight a concern? (for your car, etc.)

- what features do you really need? (do you REALLY need an effects loop, multiple channels, etc? Do you know what how to use a parametric EQ?

If I were you, I would stay away from the "monster stack" and go with a good combo from a reputable company. Combos can hook up to expansion cabinets for larger venues.

But the BOTTOM LINE for ANY equipment purchase is that it has to make your ears happy. I don't care how cool it looks or how much it costs, if it doesn't have a SOUND that makes you smile, look for something else.

If you want a real affordable lightweight amp check out the Carvin PB100-15. I just purchased one as my Hartke 4x10 was getting to heavy for the gigs I have been playing. I played a gig the other night with a horn section and rhythm section. That amp thumped! I had no probem keeping up with the band un-miked. At $299.00 it is a steal in my opinion.

Sedgdog

Originally posted by KoRnO:

I'm going to start gigging what kind of gear do you guys recommend?

Hi -

I'm new to this board. Good to see so many bass players here.

My two cents: what you want depends both on how much you can spend and what type of music you're playing. I play a wide variety of stuff, from country and easy listening to top 40 covers and original pop rock (and a lot of stuff in between), so I need something that suits many genres. If you want a combo amp, I have to recommend Fenders. I have a Fender BXR200 that I have played almost every gig on for the last three years. It has taken a beating and still sounds the same as the day I got it. It also pushes my 5-string well, and I get a truly satisfactory fretless tone from it. I've never tried an SWR, mainly because I don't want to start drooling over something that's out of my price reach right now! For something larger than a combo, I'd go with Ampeg - a B2 cabinet and an SVT head, for example.

One word of advice: DON'T buy anything used unless you get the opportunity to road-test the gear thoroughly. I made that mistake, thinking that if it sounded good at living-room volume it would be the same at gig-level. WRONG, and it cost me hundreds in repair fees. Make sure anything you buy is worthy of the money you put down for it and the time you'll spend with it.

Last thing; if you can afford it, always have a backup amp, just like you should have a backup bass.

Hope this helps. Best of luck -

I'm not real big on conmbos if you can afford only one rig. In the past month I've gotten three calls to lend or rent one of my rigs from guys that alternately had a combo that blew up in the pre/power-amp section, or speakers going/gone bad. With separate head and cab not only can you divide the weight into two separate packages, but it's easier to find a substitute for a cabinet or a head without having to have both, and if you have to ship for repair, the cost is cheaper with separates (unless yo simultaneously lunch speakers AND the pre/power section.

If you have several rigs this is not such a problem. But I still opt for the flexibility of separate cabs and heads or racks myself. Just something to think about, though I realize combos are usually cheaper. But some companies like Carvin give a real price break on separates if purchased at the same time, and the stuff sounds great. They also have a 210 combo that is in fact a removable rack-mount head placed in a 210 cab that has a rack-sized pocket.

Archived