Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help With My......Nut

j-mo

Does anyone have any experience removing the nut from a vintage J-bass? (or any other bass for that matter)

Is there a preferred technique?

I have cut blanks before but I have never had to remove one.

While we're at it any opinions on the various types of material available for use?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take a exacto blade and cut along the edges of the nut to cut the finish

along the edge so the finish will not chip. Take a hard piece of metal

like a heavey file, set it against the front of the nut so when it is tapped the file spreads the impact of the tap across the whole front of the nut as opposed to one edge or the other. Tap lightly till the nut comes loose.

------------------

Thank you,

Craig S. Leyh

CraigLeyh@FrameBand.com

Keep It Low!

Thank you,

Craig S. Leyh

CraigLeyh@NVSMedia.com

Keep It Low!

Wow what a timely question for me! To reiterate j-mo's question, I've been wanting to replace my Ibanez six string's (406) nut with a brass one. I know that in theory(?) this will only help sustain and tone change when the string is not fretted, but doesn't the difference in mass/material help the neck to sustain more WHEN FRETTED? The pick-ups have not been replaced yet, but I was hoping to decrease the slight nasal/cardboardy sound with a brass nut such as the one I love on my pedulla fretless. (Pedulla has just now gone to bone nuts-does anyone know why?). Does anyone who's replaced a plastic (teflon?) black nut with a brass one have subjectiove opinions to offer on the change in tone? I was having this done yesterday but the tech failed to show up-so I have a "reprieve"! As usual, thanks! Jim T.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

To clarify my reiterations... I guess that I'm hoping to get a bit more bite/bark/attack to the sound without having to exchange pickukps. (They're humbuckers and just a hair "mushy".Will the brass nut take me there? Thanks again.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

Well then..... which nut material for open strings? I want to uncardboard/denasal the sound. I figure bone would give me a tad more of a jazz bass sound. Brass more of a bell tone sustain? I thought that the metal nut might help the entire neck to resonate more. Is that too expecting too much voodoo?

Edgar Watson Howe

Hi Jim, brass is good for the nut, but IMHO I would try changing strings to find the elusive tone you are searching for. Uniformity is a good thing, you want your notes to sound similar when fretted and open.

But thats me. Your funk may vary. Use only as dirrected, and keep away from small children.

-David R.

-David R.

Hi dxr,

Well, do you have any brand of round wounds tht you'd recommend to decrease that "cardboardy","nasal" humbucker sound? The SR406 is an extemely clean/clear sound and I wouldn't mind a bit more thump and bump fingerpicking. Thanks, Jim

Edgar Watson Howe

Hi dxr, Thanks for the reply. Yeah I dig the analogy. A fine bouquet of hexcore surrounded by a slight piquant flavor of carbon based heliwrap. A 1997 perhaps? I have a set of blue steels on an older Fender Jazz in the closet. I'll give 'em a new listen. They'd be a lighter gauge than I'd use on the Ibanez but....

By the way. This particular 406 string is a very nice instrument. The neck joint fit is very tight and precise and although I'd wish for more resonance in the soft maple, I'd rate this as a good quality instrument. I just had to join in on the Ibanez/Ibeenhad debate. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif Thanks again for getting back to me/us. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif Jim T.

Edgar Watson Howe

cornbread, thanks a lot! I've been hoping for responses from actual soundgear bass players as they'd know the pickups...

Any others out there? I did think about the Low-riders although I haven't actually heard them. I figured that they'd be darker on the 406's higher/thin strings which are VERY bright. The Ibanez guy over the phone said that they're D'addarios. Can't afford to try 'em all so I'll filter as many experiences from others through my left/right brain as I can before I try something different. Any other soundgrear folks with advice to offer? Has ANYONE tried a brass nut on a soundgear?Thanks again, Jim T.

Edgar Watson Howe

Archived