Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sans Amp DI

clockwirk

I play regularly at a church and instead of investing a lot of money (and back pain) in a bass amp and cabinet, I've been using the Sans Amp Bass Driver direct box and going straight into the board. What do you guys think of this particular unit, and what are the major cons to doing this. Am I going to fry all the monitors by pumping bass frequencies through them?
~clockwirk~

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love just about all Tech21's stuff but especially the Bass Driver. I used it as my main preamp into the power amp in on a Fender BXR300 combo. The BXR had horrible tone, but the Bass Driver's tone is incredible, very punchy and tubey. There was an outdoor party that I was supposed to play once, but it rained and the band had to set up in the living room. There was no room for my refridgerator sized amp, so I just ran through the Bass Driver into the old Peavey PA that the singer brought. It worked great!! I highly recommend running direct through the board with the Bass Driver. Unfortunately, most of the places I play do not allow for me to go through the board, so I still hump around my amp setup (Ampeg B2R mounted in the Fender BXR300 cab, SWR Workingman's 2X10) but the Bass Driver is always there to be used as a boost or to go into the board if I can. I have also used the Bass Driver exclusively for recording my bass, but sometimes the level seems a little low, so I warm it up with a TubeMP.

------------------

KJ

"...it's not that I'm lazy...it's just that I don't care."

KJ

-------------------

"50 million Elvis Presley fans can't be all wrong" - John Prine

I really like my SansAmp Bass Driver. I use it to record on my DAW and at rehearsal through the PA/monitors. Great tone that changes with a small twist of a knob. Now that I have found a sound I like, I don't change the settings much.

However, I did find that it took away all the mids from my fretless Carvin with passive pickups. I haven't tried the fretless with the SansAmp in a while. That incredible "mwah" sound is in there somewhere.

---

Chris Hardin

Chris Hardin

I have the Bass Driver DI too, and I love the growl it gives. But I've wondered if the Acoustic DI would be better because it has a mid control. The Bass Driver lacks this, and I've noticed that I have to crank mids elsewhere in the chain to compensate.

Turning up bass (or bass and treble, especially) scoops out the mids on the Bass Driver.

Archived