Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Bassman 400 combo

PunkBass

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By most reports form users on teh FDP, its a nice amp. Seems to me like somewhat of an SWR Redhead knock off (does that make it Blackhead?) as far as the package goes.

A major bummer IMO is that there is no provision or capability for driving an external speaker cabinet as well as the internal drivers. The two internal 10" drivers give a 4 ohm load, which is the lowest load impedance the amp section is spec'd for.

Cheers,

Bill

I thought it was a great sounding amp, but as Bill said, the inability to drive another cab is a drawback, and a bad marketing choice. The amp puts out a decent volume, but the speakers aren't quite as robust as a Redhead or a Metro. They will flap if you push too hard. I hope the Fender guys make them 8ohms with an extension speaker out in the next design run.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Originally posted by Ed Friedland:

I thought it was a great sounding amp, but as Bill said, the inability to drive another cab is a drawback, and a bad marketing choice. The amp puts out a decent volume, but the speakers aren't quite as robust as a Redhead or a Metro. They will flap if you push too hard. I hope the Fender guys make them 8ohms with an extension speaker out in the next design run.

In your opinion, is this combo powerful enough to compete with a rock-style drummer? At least for practice. Since if I'd play out, I'd go through the club PA system.

Well, it will get you heard, but compete? Not if you want to win! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

I think this amp is meant more for medium duty gigs, not competing with loud drummers and guitars. If you could add a 15" or a 4X10" under it it would handle anything. Write to Fender and tell them to get that changed!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by PunkBass:

Does anyone here own or has played through a Fender Bassman 400 combo?

What are your thoughts on it?

That's one of two complaints I have with my Fender BXR200: First, there are no winding posts for the power cable, doesn't detach, and it hangs out and is susceptible to damage. Second, I can't connect to an external speaker, and I've wanted/needed to several times.

Other than those two things, I love my amp and have used it day after day for years with no problems. I've been in gig situations where I was nervous about the amp's capability but was pleasantly surprised. The Bassman 400 combo is a NICE amp (I've tried it in music stores) and a big step up from my BXR200.

Archived