Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My First Most-Buy CD of 2001

Hey Gang,

I just bought Jeff Berlin's new CD and it is unbelieveable! It is called "In Harmony's Way" and it features a bevy of musical monsters. Check the list of guest artists: Danny Gottlieb, Mike Stern, Dave Liebman, Clare Fischer and the legendary Gary Burton (!), along with a tragically hip horn section. What I like most obout the CD is the overall live sound Jeff was able to capture. It sounds like you are sitting in a club listening to the band go off.

I am also amazed by the compositions. On "Runaway Train", Jeff lays down a relentless bass groove while the rest of the band plays some very outside stuff. If you get this CD, try keeping up with Jeff for the whole song! What a work out!

There is also one of the most beautiful ballads I have ever heard Jeff play. It is called "Heart of a Child" and it is very moving. You will be touched when you hear Jeff's solo on this track. Simply beautiful.

Enough ranting from me. Go by Jeff's site and check out the CD for yourself. His URL is www.jeffberlinmusic.com. (That is how I bought my copy. I don't think it will be in many stores.)

Hey Ed, haven't you played with Gary Burton? Somewhere down the line I thought you had gigged with him. If so, you need to share that with the group. My fear is that some new players do not know what Gary is all about...and that would be a shame.

Take care, bassers!

Dale

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've bought two CDs so far this year that I consider essential listening - Jonatha Brooke's 'Steady Pull' - great singer-songwriter stuff, with Marcus on bass on a couple of tunes, breathtaking production and some really deep songs.

The other is 'Stay Human' by Spearhead, which is fast working its way to the top of my all time favourite albums list - imagine the best of Marvin Gaye, Gil Scott Heron, Curtis Mayfield and Bob Marley filtered through Arrested Development and Public Enemy. The most amazing, inspiring, life-changing blend of hip-hop, soul, funk, and some deeply life affirming social and political commentary. Carl Young on bass is an absolute monster, grooving like Bernard Edwards at his best...

any other best of year recommendations?

cheers

Steve

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

Dale,

Nope, I never played with Gary Burton. I taught at Berklee in the 80's but never had the opportunity to work with him.

He is a great vibes player however and a pivotal figure in the jazz-rock expansion of the early 70's. His mastery of the 4 mallet technique really opened the way for vibists to explore the more intricate aspects of harmony. His early groups were the launching pad for many great musicians like Pat Metheny, Bob Moses, Steve Swallow and many others.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Steve, (and everyone) I've posted this CD on another post BUT: Mathew Garrison's CD. IMHO it's the most innovative new style of playing since Jaco's solo debut! HONEST! Flamenco fast 5 finger flurries, sophisticated chordal style with very creative overdubbed parts. The CD is very melodic jazz with an Indian,world music ambience and each piece tells a sonic story . There's a bit of electronica but very tastefully done-filling out textures. Matt's toured with John Mclaughlin,Joni Mitchell,Joe Zawinul,etc.

I've just returned from N.Y.C. and was fortunate enough to have some lessons with Matt. He's a great guy-very nice and he didn't laugh at me and my puny curent skill levels! If you buy bass soloists' projects for awe inspiring playing (along with tasteful compositions) PLEASE check this out! I really don't think you'd regret it.

Order online through www.garrisonjazz.com (please tell him Jim Tartas from the Seattle area sent you) or through the Bass Collective site.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Hey Jim,

I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding Matthew's playing and musicality. When I was the Editor of Bass Frontiers mag many moons ago I was able to talk with Matthew briefly and I was very impressed with what he had to say. At this year's Winter NAMM I heard him play and it was phenomenal. I also recommend his solo CD. Ground breaking!

Dale

dtitus, Actually Matt's the cover story in the newest issue of Bass Frontiers. He's very well spoken-interviews with very informative and thorough answers. His Bass Player Mag. interview was the same.

Thanks for your additional vote for Matt's CD. I hope he gets financially rewarded for his innovations. Jim T.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Archived