Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whats the Deal with the Real Book?

j-mo

OK Jazzers help me out here please.

I'm a R&B / Funk / Blues cat who is working on the Jazz thing.

My questions are:

1. Is the "Illegal" Real Book (the 5th Edition) "the" one to get, if so why?

2. Should I get it in Bass clef or is there a difference (other than the clef)?

3. I heard that some of the changes are intentionally incorrect, is that true, if so what tunes are wrong and why?

4. This ones for Ed Freidland if your reading this. I live in Phoenix and wanted to talk to you about some private instruction is there some way to get in touch with you to talk about this?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

re: Bass clef

Only get the bass clef if you are going to be playing the melodies. Otherwise, make the guitarist (who forgot to bring his) happy and get a "regular" one.

-David R.

-David R.

J-mo,

Feel free to email me privately concerning lessons!

As far as the Real Book. It is technically illegal, so I won't publicly endorse it, or suggest you buy it, BUT it is somewhat of a defacto standard out there. Sher Music has put out several versions of The New Real Book which is clearer to read, more accurate, and legal. The only disadvantage may be that it doesn't have all the tunes that everyone plays out of the illegal Real Book.

The old Real Book was put together by some teachers at Berklee in the 70's and it has remained a popular if illicit source for jazz repertoire ever since. When I was a student at Berklee in '77 the first word of advice I got was "get a Real Book". Back then you could buy one from the local copy shop! Then, they were sold openly on the street in front of school. After many years, "they" decided to crack down on copyright infringenment and the sale of Real Books was relegated to the dank, dark alleyways previously reserved for drug dealers and prostitutes (no shortage of THEM around the Back Bay area in the '70s!). The book can still be found easily enough (but don't ask me, if I told you, I'd have to kill you http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif)

There are some famous mistakes in the book that have never been changed, like a missing 4 bars in Desafinado (you can always tell where someone learned that tune if they leave them out) and many others, but over all, it's not too bad for mistakes. However, I don't suggest getting the bass clef version (or the Bb, or Eb versions) because they were written after the original one and contain even MORE (and different) mistakes. If everyone plays the same mistakes, then it's not as bad right? If you want to learn the melodies (ideally you should) read them in treble clef, it won't kill you to learn how to read BOTH clefs!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Ed and David,

Thanks alot for the info. I've been tryin' to get a straight answer on that question for a while now. I really appreciate it. Ed, I will try to email you via your website regarding the private instruction.

Oh yeah, almost forgot.....Ed this site is da SHIZZNIT!!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Keep up the good work bro, it is appreciated.

Peace.

Archived