Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

acoustic bass

scottscott

I have an epiphone "el capitan" acoustic bass, that I cannot seem to get alot of sound out of. I am somewhat of a beginner so i know techinique may be a big part of it. Does anyone know about using nylon strings as opposed to bronze wound to increase volume for this type of bass??

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am the guy for whom Thomastik-Infeld developed their Acousticore

strings; the nylon core bronze wound types to which you may be referring.

They will not be louder than bronze wrapped steel core strings, though they

may very well give you more pleasing tone. I doubt that you'd get more volume from the black nylon tape wound strings as made by LaBella either. Most "acoustic bass guitars" are just not very loud...barely adequate to keep up with a single decent acoustic guitar. That's why they're usually plugged in. Kind of a paradox, eh?

I still can't get used to calling an ABG an acoustic bass. I always associate that term with upright bass, even though it is correct. Anyway, Rick is right, the physics of the instrument doom it to be too quiet for practical use. To make an acoustic chamber capable of projecting enough sound, it would have to be as big as an upright bass, not something you want to strap around your neck. The Guitarron mentioned in the other folder that discusses this same topic (hint, hint) has a huge body that is unwieldy to say the least. The combination of high action, gut strings and playing almost entirely in double stop octaves helps this axe project very well. You won't be playing any Jaco transcriptions on THAT bass however!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

I played the El Capitan in a band with 2 girls singing and 1 guitar (in Fripp's Crafty tuning), and it *always* had to be plugged in.

It just doesn't put out much sound. Strings made very little difference. A pick helped a LOT, but the volume was still too low to really be usable.

It also depends where you play. Try to play it in small rooms, or while standing in a corner. It helps if you use all the available environmental factors to boost the sound....

Good luck,

- Christian

Budapest, Hungary

• 2 weeks later...
I play an El Capitan myself. I personally LOVE it for feel and it sounds great AMPLIFIED, but I agree also about the volume problem when playing straight acoustic with it. Try phosphor bronze strings -- they do sound a BIT louder and brighter than regular ones. The only thing is the bronze color doesn't look too good against the black finish of my bass. If there's anything else I can help you with regarding musical gear, call 888-590-9700 or email me at rgallo@music123.com Regards, Ro

Archived