Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Taking a bass on the plane

dansouth

What are the pros and cons of taking an instrument on the plane in a heavy gig bag? I've seen people do this and hang the bass on the coat rack near the door. Do you have to get clearance in advance to do this? I really don't want to lug a heavy case around if I don't have to...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't put it in a gig bag if you want it in one piece...I'm going to Denmark next week and taking my Martin acoustic Bass with me...everyone I check with says put bubble rap inside the case if possible...sounds crazy to me...KLM will not let me take it as onboard luggage.

I always take my basses on the plane in a double gig bag, never in a hard case. If you take it in a hard case you will have to put your bass with the luggage where the baggage handlers will treat it like it has a "kick me" sign on it. Don't ask at the gate, just wear it like you always do, if you ask they have to tell you no.

For small commuter flights, hand carry it to the plane and AFTER all the luggage has been placed on the plane ask the luggage guy to tag your bass so that when you arrive at your destination they don't take it off with the rest of the luggage. They will hand it to you when you get off the plane.

So far this worked for about 70 or 80 flights. If hassled, insist. You will look like a jerk, but your bass will get there in one piece. Yes, this includes international flights.

I don't remember ever having to put my bass in the hold - I always take it on as hand luggage and put it at the back of the overhead then stick around to put people's bags around it so it doesn't get crushed. I've had a few flight attendants question it, but a smile, a friendly word and a bizarre conversation about nail varnish has always worked wonders, and quite often results in an upgrade... LOL

cheers

Steve

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

I've always done carry-on. Gig bag, it usually fits overhead. Be nice, and insistant. Check it in if you have a flight case, and get your roadie to carry it 'cause those suckers are heavy.

-David R.

-David R.

I just flew to Boston from Sacramento with my trusty gig bag. The flights were very full, but it wasn't a problem. It fit nicely in the overhead compartment.

I know that there is a closet in 1st class, but I have never had my bass placed in there. I think that may be the same place that they put strollers and wheelchairs.

One of the key moves is to have no other carry-on luggage, and to sit in the back (if you're like me - in the cheap seats).

I also have a cheapo "travel" bass guitar. I know that this is a bit extreme, but I don't like to ship or fly with certain axes.

Even with a flight case, I wouldn't want to check an instrument. They really toss the bags on and off.

-Shin

I always flew with the gig bag onboard in the overhead compartment. Never a problem until about '99 when the FAA got tougher about carry on luggse. For a while it was tough, one flight I had to pay for a seat for my gig bag (luckily it was Southwest Air from LA to Tucson, only $45). But the tide seems to have turned and I have been able to walk on again my last few flights. When in doubt, use Steve's nail varnish trick.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

I can only speak of my experience on international flights (all flights from Budapest are int'l), but I have never had a problem bringing it on board with me.

Most of the overhead bins seem to be smaller on int'l flights, and my bass won't fit up there. But there is always a closet in the back (or in 1st class) which is WAYYY too deep for coats-only, so you can usually stick it in the back of the closet.

Once or twice I have put it behind the last row of seats (where the flight attendants store their stuff), and it was safe and secure.

If you really want to be careful, sit in the last row. This puts you next to the flight attendants' closet, AND the little space behind the last row of seats. Get on early, and be very friendly.

Good luck!

- Christian

Budapest, Hungary

It's true -- have Steinberger, will travel! (A Les Paul bag might be a good idea, since my Steinberber gig bag looks a lot like a rifle. Mind you, I've never been hassled about this at an airport.)

------------------

Jeff Addicott

http://www.jeffnet.org/~addicott/bass.html

Archived