Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

(upright) preamps

ziga

i'm interested in what preamps are you guys using, especially double-bassists. plus: what does work best for you when travelling? is it bringing a head along (like the clarus, i imagine-i have never seen or tried one, since i am from a forgotten little country in europe), or just a preamp... so, i am into good sound, portability, and on a budget. not too promising, huh?

thanks,

ziga

www.go.to/zigagolob

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just bought a Baggs Gigpro for use with my Azola Bugbass. I've just spent a little time with it, but I'd say I'm please overall. It has some good features and sounds good. See the www.lrbaggs.com for an owner's manual. I'd used a Fishman Model B before that, which had a different sound, a little brighter with a little less punch. There's a new model of that out now that's probably a little different sounding.

I've been using the Fishman Pocket Bass Blender for many years. I mix my pickup (Turner UBP-1) with a Crown mic, so having 2 channels with phase controls is needed. It's got bass and treble tone controls and some high and low filters for the mic channel. The DI is great, soundmen always love it.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Since you're in Europe, check out AER http://www.aer-amps.de -- these are extremely portable (lightweight and small) combo amps with very good sound, and the ability to blend sound from two inputs (i.e. mic and pick-up). I haven't used one, but have heard one used, and it sounded convincing and transparent to me.

This message has been edited by Mr. Wise Man on 05-11-2001 at 09:45 AM

Archived