Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I lost my "mwah" on my fretless!

Andy1166

I recently bought a cheap fretless that had the mwah but when I changed the strings, I lost the mwah! Do you have any tips on how to get the mwah back without using the old set of strings? Would it help to adjust the height of the bridge saddles? If so, what would you recommend? Any suggestions on setting up a fretless.

Please help!

Andy

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing that the string gauge or brand changed from old to new - in which case, the likelihood is that the set-up has shifted. Set-up and technique are the two biggest factors in fretless sound, as far as i can tell, so your best bet is to look at that - lower action is going to increase that growly fretless sound. If you're not confident to do it yourself, take it to a repair man or woman and get them to adjust it while you wait so you can try it and find the sound you want. Don't forget that if you lower the bridge saddles, you'll probably have to reset the intonation as well...

cheers

Steve

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

Yes, I am going to agree with Steve. If you went from a lighter gauge string set to a heavier flatwound set, the neck curve has shifted from its original position. If you don't want to attempt re-setting neck, bridge and intonation yourself, just take it to a Bass doctor near by.

Also if you are not too hapy with the strings you bought I highly reccomend La Bellas' black nylon strings, they make any cheap fretless come alive.

"Word to your mother"

I find that fretless necks like to be just a taste straighter than I like to set a fretted neck. Then it becomes a matter of balancing "Mwah" and articulation. Too much mwah, and you've got a mad bee swarm. With action set high, you get great punch, but loose mwah. It's a real balancing act. Not a bad idea to learn to do your own setups and maybe even a bit of fingerboard dressing work.

The thought of dressing my own fingerboard scares me Rick, hell the thought of dressing MYSELF scares me http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Seriously, you would need a sanding block with the proper radius to match the fingerboard right? Any tips on how to do this without destroying a neck?

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

For major fingerboard dressing it's a good idea to use concave radiused sanding blocks. There's a type called "Handy Fredder" avaialble in a number of contours from Stewart MacDonald, and LMI has a (fairly expensive) adjustable type. Both work well with the 3M sticky backed sandpaper rolls.

For minor fretless touchup, I make "L" shaped sanding blocks out of hardware store-bought aluminum angle stock...the stuff comes in 3 or 4 foot lengths and is 3/4" x 3/4" x about 1/16" thick. I cut lengths about 6" long and wrap 150 or 220 grit sticky backed sandpaper on the two outside surfaces. I can then spot dress areas of the fingerboard without even removing the strings. Thus I can "chase out" any problem areas with instant feedback on how I'm doing. Since fingerboards do tend to wear more in some spots than others, the loss of "mwah" is here then there. These spot sanders have proven invaluable for dealing with both fretless and fretted instruments as I can work the fingerboard under full string tension.

I forgot to say, I'm not doing major sanding with this technique; this is fine tuning. Ed, I wouldn't be too afraid of tackling this...with caution. I'll send you one of these sanding gizmos. It is better to do too little than too much, but it's really great to be able to do it yourself.

Archived