Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

basslines or dimarzio?

Rob_dup6

Hi guys. I was hoping someone could help me with my problem. I'm a bassist in a reggae band here in the Philippines. I use a Fender Jazz Bass and I play through a Sansamp Bass Driver DI. I only have a practice amp so I use whatever equipment the gig venue has. I want to get new pickups for my bass before the band goes into recording. I've narrowed down my choices to a set of Basslines by Seymour Duncan active pickups, a set of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups, or a set of Dimarzio Model J pickups. I want something that will sound good onstage (as this is my main bass) as well as in the studio. Given the information I've shared about my gear and playing style, which pickup would suit me best? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i find aftermarket pickups such a voodoo issue, because there's no way to plug them into your bass and test them out, like you could do with an amp or a stompbox.

between the two, i'm inclined to recommend the dimarzio, though, based on Ed's comments in the aftermarket pickups thread:

ed likes the dimarzio DP149 .

the J-Retro preamp was also recommended for J basses. it seems to be the end-all be-all of onboard bass preamps.

I'd second Ed's glowing review of the DiMarzio "Ultra-Jazz". Like most of us, I haven't A/B'd 20 different sets of pickups, so I can't say for sure wether they're the absolute best out there.

I can, however, say that they were a huge improvment in my '70s Jazz bass, with all the bottom, punch, and top-end slice I could ever hope for. I've also had extremely good results in the studio; the bass records very naturally & sits just right in the mix without a need for a lot of processing & EQ.

I also know that the BP magazine shootout gave the Ultra Jazz a very high score (4.5 /5) for both live and studio work.

------------------

Jeff Addicott

http://www.jeffnet.org/~addicott/bass.html

I bought some Model J pickups for my secondary bass; a Japanese Foto Flame Jazz. I was just playing it last night at a jam and the house bass player was really digging the sound from out front. He said that the bass sounded very warm without being boomy. I know that this has a lot to do with the pickups because the stock ones produced a much more brittle sound with the high mids kinda popping out if you don't watch your velocity, besides the fact that they were really bad for hum.

The other plus with the Model J's is that they're a split single; much like a Precision, which means that you can dial up some pretty tasty (hum free) neck pickup sounds while still getting that more even-keeled jazz tone we all love!

Archived