Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gear Insurance?

tony_dup2

I'm curious... What are you guys / gals doing about insuring your basses and equipment? Are you covering your gear with your home insurance policy? Or did you get special gear insurance? Don't tell me you're leaving those boutique basses and vintage pre-CBS Fenders to chance!

Thanks,

Tony

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a good instrument policy available through the Musician's Union. It's put out by Albert Wohler's Insurance. Also there's a company called Clarion.

Renter's and home owner's policies won't cover your instruments if you use them professionally.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

The insurance through the Musicians Union provides for full replacement value and covers it anywhere including the car, the gig, at home, etc. If anyone ever has questions regarding the union, my day job is president of Local 153 in San Jose, CA

Wally Malone

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• 1 year later...

I thought that a year and a half was long enough for this thread to sit in the cooler. Given 61P's recent theft experience, I thought I'd yank it out -- gotta luv that search function! :thu:

Wally and Ed gave great responses above. But, I'm also curious about how the rest of y'all are insuring your beloved bass gear against loss, theft, damage, etc. :eek:

Is your gear insured? How/by whom?

Since I asked, I'll go first: My gear is not insured, but I don't play professionally, and the only time it leaves my home is when I take it somewhere to jam w/ friends (haven't gigged in quite some time). HOWEVER, I will check w/ my homeowners insurance provider soon to find out what I might be covered for. I also intend to look into musical instrument insurance specifically.

Next?

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Another question to throw out regarding gear insurance. I checked into my insurance company about it a year ago, and I couldn't believe it; the premium was $600/year! I don't pay that for full coverage on my pickup.

What do you guys pay per year/month for a separate policy on your gear? Also, does it cover the equipment if some fool decides to trash your bass on stage at a gig while you're on break? Or just for theft?

Be careful with homeowners policies. Agents are quick to sell you something but there are sometimes clauses in fine print that state if the equipment is used professionally it is not covered. Most people find this out after they file a claim and the claim adjustor assigned denies your claim. With the insurance available through the AFM $225 will insure about $20,000 worth of equipment at full replacement value and anywhere.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I'll second MusicPro, though they recently began a relationship through Musicians Friend and are snowed under. I used to use Merz-Huber, and they were good but their deductible and rates went up, and you need an ISB or other membership to get decent rates. MusicPro has gone up, but it's still not much more than $225 for $27,000 worth of gear, as I recall.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

If you're relying on your homeowner's policy to protect your equipment, you better make sure you're fully covered by calling your agent and if necessary, getting an explicit statement of coverage in writing. Some homeowner's policies will not cover your gear if the value is in excess of a certain percentage of your contents coverage, and as some have already said, it definitely won't cover it if you use it professionally. A rider may be necessary on your policy to guarantee coverage, and you must have replacement cost coverage regardless - it costs extra and you will have to ask for it. Replacement cost coverage will only cost a little more a year, but will make the difference between getting $200 for a depreciated '72 Pee bass and $1500 for replacement cost. Also, don't assume your homeowner's policy will cover your equipment "wherever it may be." Most homeowner's policies will only cover gear if the loss took place at your residence, and not anywhere else - especially in a vehicle or at a gig.

I'll second all the "check with your agent" posts.

I called today. Because I don't use it professionally (meaning I don't make much with it), I'm covered. Well, sort of. It's up to the claims adjusted what they would value my stuff at, even if I have receipts ( !! ). And then there's that $500 deductible. I can add my stuff specifically to my policy, where it would have no deductible and no arguements over value (I have to submit receipts or appraisals) for $39/year (I told them I have $7000 worth, which I don't). I'm not sure about out-of-house, so I have another call to make before I shell out the bucks.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived