Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Pod/ Bass Pod Pro as console insert?

I've been thinking about getting a Line 6 Bass Pod (or Bass Pod Pro) and it occurs to me that dialing in some great bass sound too early in a production (as in during tracking) might not be such a hot idea for recording. Ideally, it seems like a straight recording of the bass, no EQ, no compressor/limiter unless it is absolutely necessary to get a decent signal to noise for later Pod or other effect processing... just the sound of the bass through a flat direct box and into the console or onto recording media... would be the way to go. THEN, that signal, which mirrors the original sound of the bass as it was being played, can be patched through the Bass Pod during mixing, and the ideal "finished" bass sound could be obtained.

Does anyone use the Pods (guitar, too, I guess) that way? Can the regular Bass Pod handle the +4 signal level of the console's inserts? Would the Pod Pro be better, even if you were going to stay in the analog realm (allowing that you would have to use the Pro if you wanted to stay in the digital realm)?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the bass pod, since it has a Direct out and a Amp simulation out, it is posible to record both signal and decide upon mixdown if you want to use either or both etc. You can also run the any signal through the bass bod later.

I run a drum track trough the BassPod via de send bus, I mixed the result with the original stereo drum mix. Wow lots of fun!!

I have a direct box that can take bass or guitar, etc., and send it through the mic inputs of a console while also having a hi-impedance split-off that could go into the Bass Pod (just like plugging the bass directly into the Pod). So I guess if I had a Pod I could do it that way and feed a little dry direct with the Pod direct. Or choose the best for that situation.

I tried the pod in a store and found it hissy/noisey. I thought the patches were fun, and sometimes very cool. I just ordered a Johnson J-Station from MF. They are on sale for $150. Can't beat that. I've heard good things about there select bass emulations. But also, i need the other cabs for guitar. $150 for an all in one box is "not too shabby"... unless it is B stock. But it doesn't say that on the web site..

Archived