Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Show Of Hands

This is my first post here. I'm also registered over at fenderforum.com as 'plastic nut'. Anyways, here it goes:

I have always had a difficult time playing string instruments because i possess loose jointed fingers. As an example, when i pluck the bass my fingers bend back(particularly the last digits) which makes it hard to get solid contact on the string. This can cause an improper movement of the string which sometimes results in a fret tap or just bad tone. I make a point of trying to grip with the very tips of my fingers to get a good pronounced sound. So i am fighting many elements when trying to develop good technique. Does any one else have this problem? This also causes problems when holding a pick as my thumb wants to curl back. I'm always amazed when i see a person whose fingers stop at full extension. It must be nice to have that for playing.

I wonder if i could experiment with some custom splints or something. Any ideas?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi plastic nut,

you really shouldn't need splints - bass isn't a strength instrument, contrary to popular belief, but it is a 'precision' instrument, and sitting down with a good teacher would be the fastest, safest and most effective way to sort out these technique issues. have a look at www.basslessons.com for a list of teachers worldwide...

cheers

Steve

www.steve-lawson.co.uk

Plastic nut, would something as simple as band-aids help? How about those little velcro finger weight training things advertised in the mags? OR a narrower string spacing???

Fretless might be easier for you with really low action and thin (soft) strings. Peavy made a nylon stringed Brian Bromberg model a few years ago that you might find used somewhere if all else fails...

Try a good teacher first but thought these other ideas might help you... Good luck. Let us all know if you find a solution! Jim T.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

• 2 weeks later...

Our talented colleague Steve Lawson is right; a good teacher can best help you deal with this situation. A key to the problem is in your choice of words. You shouldn't "grip" the bass's neck; your fretting-hand fingers should come down on the string with enough pressure to sound the note, but your hand should still feel relaxed when you hold down the string.

Lighter-gauge strings and lower action might help you begin to build up the muscle tone you need. (Note I said "tone," not "strength.")

Richard Johnston, Editor

Bass Player

Thank you Richard, i was referring specifically to my right hand. Although, my flexible joints, and thin finger pads *do* cause a problem when trying to fret chords on a guitar. This is one reason why i enjoy playing bass better.

Thanks to everyone else for their input.

Archived