Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GK Amp thru SWR cab probs

billbecker77

I've just purchased a brand new GK RB800 head and an SWR Workingmans 4X10 cab through mail-order. No matter how I hook them up (and believe me I've tried 'em all) I get a nasty crackling sound on the low end at only a moderately loud volume. It seems to me that one of you cats must have tried this combination and you can tell me whether something is most likely broken or I've got a bad combination of gear. Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear of your troubles...it could be a few things. The crackling could be a bad cord, either guitar cable or speaker cable. It could be something loose in the head or cab creating a short circuit. Could be a busted voice coil. Borrow another amp and see if the cab does it with another head, and check your head with another cab. Make sure you call the dealer up ASAP and tell them about your trouble.

Assuming everything is working properly, the volume problem isn't surprising. A GK 800RB is not all that powerful. The bottom half of the power amp gives you something like 200 watts (?) into 8 ohms, not all that much power to drive the SWR. The top half is 100 watts into 4 ohm, it's meant to drive a 4 ohm box for high frequencies. It's just not a super loud amp in this setting, you need more cabs to get the full power rating.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Ed,

Thanks for the advice. I went to a local music store and tried my GK through an exact duplicate SWR cab they had on the showroom floor. The cab sounded great. Loud, clean and fat! So, it looks like my SWR Workingman's 4x10 cab was defective right out of the box. Fortunately SWR cabs come with a 2 year warranty for parts and labor, so I'm taking it in this week. Hopefully, I can get it back before an outdoor gig I'm doing on April 27th for 1000+. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bill

> The bottom half of the power amp gives you something like 200 watts (?)

> into 8 ohms, not all that much power to drive the SWR. The top half is

> 100 watts into 4 ohm, it's meant to drive a 4 ohm box for high

> frequencies.

Um er, Ed.... for a GK 800RB, that's 300W to 4 ohms for the low end and 100W into 8 ohms for the high end. I do agree that 300W is not a lot of drive power for even a Workingman's 4 x 10.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill,

I had a feeling I didn't have the exact power specs on the amp, but wouldn't 300 into 4ohm translate roughly into 200 at 8ohms? Isn't a WM 4X10 an 8ohm load? Either way, it's not really enough power for big stuff, but luckily Billbecker solved the problem. The cab could have been man handled in shipping (uh-oh...UPS nightmare thread alert!)

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Archived