Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone using a bluemax to record bass?

Woodgrain

I have read many articles hailing this thing as a good piece of gear for the home guy. I would like others feedback on their setups and conectivity with this thing to get the most out of it. It says that you can pug right into the thing, with or without a DI? Then running the out into a Line Amp in on a mixer?

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had very good results using the Blue Max with electric bass.

It helps me get a fat, punchy, round sound especially when recorded to analog tape. You can't really fine tune it though. It only has preset patches. But the bass patch is very good.

I plug the bass direct into the Blue Max then straight into a SansAmp.

This message has been edited by Bill V on 04-07-2001 at 09:06 PM

Thanks for the info. I read the specs to and noticed that the impedance was low on the (L) mono input, being able to accept a direct signal. I do have a couple question though about this. Is the input impedance good for only an active signal or will a passive one work? can I tell by the input LED's if the passive bass will be fine?

You mentioned that you had the DI after the compressor? Why have you chosen to put it after the compressor and not before? I am assuming from my limited knowledge or resistance and ohms that a DI is mean to take the Hi Z signal and drop it to a Low Z signal like the one (L) mono input on the Blue. As i write this I am thinking about the output signal, is it hot enough to send to the line amp on a mixer, or have you put the DI between the Blue and the line input for this reason?

Thanks for your time

Well you can set the ratio, attack, and release manually but the threshold is fixed at -10db which can make things a bit tricky.

"Your Blue Max was designed with a high gain mono input to act as a pre-amp for instruments such as guitar and bass." - Qoute from manual

The input can handle up to +24dBu unbalanced levels. The output will deliver up to +24 in signal level unbalanced.

You can select either +4 or -10 operating level. (-10 is for bass and guitar)

The SansAmp is not exactly a DI box. It is an amp emulator. I run the Blue Max into the SansAmp, but you could go the other way around I suppose. The Blue Max puts out a strong enough signal to record direct but it sounds MUCH better thru the SansAmp. The two together make a great recording rig for bass and guitar.

I've had several other budget compressors including the Beringer Autocom, but the Blue Max is by far the BEST sounding compressor for bass I've ever owned.

This message has been edited by Bill V on 04-08-2001 at 05:46 AM

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another cheap device for home recording that I love is the ART Levelar. It just plain sounds good. I usually run through a Sansamp and then that for a nice tone. Occasionally, I'll mic my bass cab and run it through the Levelar. For pristine, clean tone, I use an FMR Audio Really Nice Compressor. Both are also servicable for vocals.

--JES

Archived