Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

STRING TO STRING BALANCE

ricknbokker

HELP! Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for ways to even out variations in string volume response, aside from the side to side pick-up adjustments. The bass is a 4 string Ric, 4003. [of course!]

Thanx much to all.

Steve

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, within certain parameters you can change the balance by adjusting the string height at the bridge saddle. Naturally you want to keep the bridge arc as close to the radius of the fingerbaord as possible, but you have some degree of flexibility. If there is a major balance problem, it may be your only choice. Specifically, which string is too loud or too soft?

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Thanks, Ed. I get a major drop-off on the D and G strings. I've previously adjusted the string height to maximize volume without compromising sustain, but I was wondering if a change to heavier guage strings might help, that is, just for those two strings. I also considered raising the string height on the E and A strings, but I have a feeling the action will suffer before I get an adequate amount of volume reduction. Besides, what bass player wants to give up any volume!! None that I know!

I'm due to purchase new strings, so maybe you or someone else has tried the guage change before. Btw, this difference is much more noticeable when running direct, as you may imagine. Thanks again!

Steve P.S. Tried too sign your guestbook, but it timed out. Problems?

This message has been edited by ricknbokker on 04-01-2001 at 12:08 PM

Well, I don't know about the guest book thing, someone else said something about that too. I guess you have to make it quick! Or try back another time.

Heavier strings might help, but then again, it will change the feel on the bass too. There are a lot of variables here, the strings, the action, the pickups, maybe even your technique. I find to balance out the string response I tend to use more flesh for the attack. I start my attack on the G just past the fingernail. The extra "meat" gives me a fuller sound, and I tend to play more on the tip on the E string. Do you have other basses too? Is this a problem that's only on the Rick?

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Not sure about ric's, but some instruments you can get the string to

close to the pickup and the magnet from the pickup will pull to

much on the string and hinder it from vibrating. Maybe?

------------------

Thank you,

Craig S. Leyh

CraigLeyh@FrameBand.com

Thank you,

Craig S. Leyh

CraigLeyh@NVSMedia.com

Keep It Low!

Oy Vey!! I've had this problem on a couple of other basses, but it was when I first got them, and after being set up correctly, the problem was remedied. As I said before, I'm very wary of having the strings too close to the pole pieces to prevent any loss of sustain. I also don't have much of a problem going w/a heavier guage seeing as I play with plenty of strength and this is one of the easiest basses to play that I've owned.

Anyway, I'm going to try the heavier strings and give that a whirl. Since I record almost every time I play, I go through a set every every 4-5 weeks, so if it doesn't work, I'll start this mess all over again! As far as the amount of 'meat' I'm applying to the strings, I play w/a pick except for slow, ballad type stuff due to bone and ligament damage in my hand. But I will try your idea, Ed, on the slow ones.

Thanks again to you and Craig for your input on this. I'll let you know how I fare...

Regards, Steve

Archived