Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing with a Feiten-ized guitar...?

Zanshin_dup1

Just got off the phone with my guitarist Joe, who is the head of repair for Galloup Guitars. Seems that he just finished Feiten-izing his Strat, and is pretty excited about the way the Feiten system has enhanced the intonation.

I am now wondering how in tune my brand new Stingray 5 is going to sound in the face of a Feiten-ized guitar. Joe is willing to Feiten-ize my bass as well if need be, but I was wondering if anyone out there is currently playing a traditional bass in a band with a Feiten-ized guitarist and if there seems to be any intonation issues.

I'd also be interested in hearing from those who have basses using the Feiten system. It seems to me that it shouldn't be as much of an issue on bass, but I'm very curious now...

Thanks,

Zanshin

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been very curious about the Feiten system for bass. I saw Buzz do a demo at the NAMM show and was really amazed at how in tune his nylon string guitar was. Over the years, your ears adapt to a certain out of tuneness on the instrument. When he started playing triads moving up the neck it hit me how different it sounded than what I expected to hear. On bass, it may not be as big of an issue if you stay low, but I'm up in the stratosphere alot playing lines and chords and I think I'd like to try it. I have my own little "golden ratio" that I use when intonating my basses. I start by getting it nailed at the 12th fret, but then I check it at the 19th and the 24th fret. On a traditional axe it's impossible to get them all perfectly in tune, but over the years I've learned how much I can compromise each harmonic to keep it in tune based on my technique. It's not perfect, but acceptable. It would be cool to see how the Feiten set up effected this.

I remember reading that Washburn was making their US made axes with the system as a factory standard feature. Anyone have one? I'm also curious about how much it costs to have done.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

I believe that Joe said that Galloup Guitars is charging $350 to change an instrument over to Feiten tuning. The high price probably has more to do with the fact that their shop is the only one in the state of Michigan that Buzz has licensed to do the retrofit. My understanding is that the actual process isn't all that labor intensive. On a standard scale instrument they only have to shave a little from the end of the fretboard, install a new nut, and then make a saddle adjustment at the bridge.

Our next practice is Wednesday, so I'll be sure to report in on my findings. I'm still interested in hearing other opinions...

Zanshin

Acoustics cost a good bit more to "Feitenize." Electrics cost about $175. I have a Washburn electric guitar with it and am very pleased. It just always sounds in better tune, especially with my piano. I'll probably wind up getting the set-up for my Carvin Bolt -- I just don't feel like mailing it off someplace. (There's nobody nearby I can just drop it off with, and since I got it in the mail in one piece, I don't want to push my luck.)

As for getting the Feiten setup on bass, I'm less convinced. Probably just my bad hearing, though.

Dan Erlewine's book, "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!" has a lot of info on the Feiten system.

Hey there,

I've got an MTD 535 with Buzz Feiten. It's real nice in all registers! Very simpatico with keyboards. I do most of my own recording with a Korg Trinity, and track bass parts, and never hear a tuning differential (except for when I hit weird notes on the bass, or forget what key I'm in.) hehe

I recommend the Buzz Feiten system. Point of interest... If you ever change the gauge of your strings you'll have to re-intonate the bass and this will require a special tuner for this ocassion. Korg makes a DT7 which is not bad on price.

My 2.5 cents...

Cheers!

Archived