Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

B15R

Bobby Bass

Anybody own an Ampeg B15R? This is the reissue that's been out for a couple of years I think. Great tone but craps out on the bottom if you push it. Would a higher wattage speaker fix this or just be a waste of my money? Any comment out there?

------------------

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had an original b-15 in the 60's. Once bands start getting louder it was never loud enough. I replaced the speaker with an EV in an attempt to make it louder, it helped a little. Then I put the old speaker in an extension cabinet to help some more. Finally I sold it and moved on to the holy grail of the time--an Acoustic. Who knew that the Ampeg would become collectible? Actually if I had put the money in the bank at 5% interest I'd actually be way ahead of the increase in value due to the collectible factor.

My advice is this: this a a low volume warm tone amp. Use it in the studio or for low volume gigs. That is what the amp is legendary for. Get something else if you want to be heard in any kind of normal band situation.

I still have the extension cabinet with the original Jensen speaker that came in the B-15 and it's still a good sounding cabinet.

------------------

http://www.jps.net/jeremy/basspage.html

Well like I said at first this is the reissue amp not the vintage amp.

This one has a switch for 60 watts or 100 watts. My B100R is 100 watts solid state(transistor) with a 15" & doesn't breakup on the low end. Ampeg's response is "it shouldn't breakup on the low end" & that's all the help I get from AMPEG. My other amp is a SVT3 Pro with a 410 horn ampeg cabinet & sometimes add a 210HE cabinet. Maybe I'll just keep the B15R for studio work, sounds great at low volume. Sound's like I like AMPEG amps, you're right. I tried other amps but always go back to AMPEG. This ain't no commercial.

------------------

Archived