Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ampeg SVP Preamp Hum

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ý've got a lot of problems with the svp-pro.

The eq on/off switch was not working,but just when i took it to service it worked.strange machine.

The di out makes a lot hum but the preamp outs are cleaner.Everytime i plug the di out to a mixer,i have to turn the wolume up to7-8.The signal is not very powerful.Sometimes i use eq to cut the hum freq but i don't want to change the tone that much.

My svp has china made tubes.What did you do with the tubes.What kind of tone ?

Ý'm thinking of buying another preamp(as you can read in my post).Do you have any comments about aguilar or eden(compared to svp)?

Peace,

-------Su$hi------

The first thing to suspect with hum in a racked preamp is a grounding problem of some sort.

My favorite cure for preamp hum is to use rack isolation washers on both sides of each rack unit. These little babies have a short flange on the inside diameter that protrudes into the screw hole just enough to make sure the screw doesn't contact the unit and the unit doesn't contact the rail. I bought a bag from markertek.com -- one bag will last a while.

There are other suggested first tries to cure preamp hum. Here is a good article: http://www.equitech.com/support/wiring.html

However, most "fixes" recommend severing the ground of interconnects. I figured I'd try the washers first, and they worked, so I stopped there.

Archived