Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ýn the mood for...Recording???

Suhi1642605818

Ý think that time in my life is getting closer.

We(Me and my band)are really close to sign a major record label.

Ý've been in studios a lot of times but this time is different.Ý must achieve the best i can,best possible playing and best possible sound of course.

But i have some problems in the preamp department;

My equipment:

Stingray4/maple

Stingray4/naturel fretless

A custom made frettless 5 string/Smith pickups/ebony fretboard

Ampeg svp pro preamp- DÝ out makes a lot noise,eq section not working.

Swr st-800 power amp

Swr goliath jr 2*10

Swr goliath 4*10

The ampeg saw a lot services but nothing seem to get better.Ý think i don't like it anymore.

Ý heard a lot about Aguilar and Eden,but never saw one.We don't have distributers in Turkey for these brands.And the distributers for swr and ashdown and all the rest just don't sell these stuff.Weird but true.

Ý want to buy a new pre-amp,especially for recording.Maybe a di box too.Ý don't think that we'll be recording in a Million dollar/ssl type studio. So,i must have a complete system with high quality components.Or,at least standards...

We are a pop-rock type band with a little bit of ethnic side.Ý will be working on a lot of fingering,a little bit slapping,and some frettless,especially for melodies.

As far as i saw,there a lot of recording professionals in the bass forum.So,Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks for your interest!

!!!Su$hi!!!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally love the TC ELectronics 1144 preamp. It's a 4 band parametric with a DI that is dead quiet. It's a clean, flexible box that will give you any sound you want, but it ain't cheap! (Got mine used, so I don't know the new $)

You might try a Fishman Dual Parametric EQ, it's a 2 band para eq with DI that runs a little over $200. Also The Raven Labs stuff is very well recieved, the guy that started SWR designed all the stuff (Steve Rabe). If you have a good quality preamp, you can go DI from there, no need for a separate DI box. Be aware that Music Man's are a little noisy if you boost too much high end from the bass, I'd try to keep the onboard preamp as flat as possible and work from your rack for the sound.

Also, look in the folder down the list called Direct Boxes, there's a lot of talk there that you might be interested in.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Archived