Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crossovers

funkyassbasser

OK kids, I went out and got a whole new amp, cabs, rack, the whole 9 yards a little while ago. Now I'm wondering if I should get a crossover to really finish off my sound. What practical applications do crossovers have in a rack? Anyone have any experience using them? How about the best models, brands, etc. Is a crossover necessary or helpful to your sound? I know nothing about these types of equipment, but that nice boy at Guitar Center ( http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif )seemed to think one would really make my new stuff sound nice. Is he dumb, or just trying to up the sale? Am I dumb, or just confused? Anyone care to take a stab at this?

This message has been edited by funkyassbasser on 03-29-2001 at 11:57 AM

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you use a crossover, you'll have to biamp your system, as you'll now have two signals (mids+highs, and lows).

there's a lot to be said for crossing your signal over before you shape the tone of your amp, because you can get a big, meaty bottom without contributing a lot of energy to the harmonics of those low notes (which get crossed into the upper band). that way you can get the big bottom, but also have a very clear mid/upper signal that is very punchy, sweet, and clear without sacrficing the bottom end.

i hope that makes sense.

plus you can apply effects to different spectra in your signal. chorus (or any modulation like phase and flange) sound better when they're just effecting the mid+highs, so you don't muddy up the low end. on the other hand, your distortion tones will get really fat if you apply the distortion mainly to the low end and let the high end keep its dry tone.

however, i'll bet the kid at the GC was just trying to make a sale. he probably didn't have a clue.

Whether to use a crossover to biamp your rig though really depends on the gear that you are using. My suggestion would be to list the equipment that you are using before going out and buying a crossover. Biamping can be very cool, but sometimes running full range makes more sense...

Zanshin

thanks for the help here. My gear list is now this.

SWR bass 900 head

SWR 1x15

SWR 4x10

Behringer composer (compresser/limiter)

(Thinking about getting a Crown power amp and some preamp in place of the head)

Does this help at all?

thanks for the help here. My gear list is now this.

SWR bass 900 head

SWR 1x15

SWR 4x10

Behringer composer (compresser/limiter)

(Thinking about getting a Crown power amp and some preamp in place of the head)

Does this help at all?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the SWR SM-900 has a built-in crossover. It may say "biamp" or something similar, but that's what it is. Assuming I'm correct, you don't need an external crossover.

If you decide to go with a preamp and a power amp, I can tell you for a fact that the Alembic F-1X has a built in crossover and sounds phenomenal. There are other options out there as well that I'm sure that some other kind soul will recommend as well...

Zanshin

Archived