Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommended CHEAP bass guitars

LiveMusic

Oh brother, now I'm bringing in ANOTHER instrument to my wishlist of things to work on. Acoustic guitar, electric guitar, keyboards, percussion, harmonica. But of all, seems to me that bass is just as important. Can you get a decent bass to mess around with at a decent price? I'm talking less than $200. The lower-priced, the better. $150? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif Since I've never played bass.

Plus, any tips on instruction material (or any tips) to get started on bass?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm...both Peavey and Yamaha seem to make decent instruments for cheap. Fender's got some stuff that's hit or miss. I think that Carvin makes some low-priced bolt-ons for around those prices (but I'm not sure...Ed'll correct if I'm wrong. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif)

For $200 there's plenty out there, but not a whole lot that's playable. Get an experienced player if you can to help you check out stuff. It's hard to tell what's good and what's garbage when you're green...

If it's garbage at less than $200, then I'll have to up it. Cuz I'm not going to waste money on something that I won't play. However, I'm not trying to become a bass player. Just doing it cuz I think it would help round out my musicianship plus I might want to record some bass loops to accompany my guitar playing.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Live Music,

The Fender Bronco (short scale 39") bass is available for $125 to 179 at places like Guitar Center depending on the time of year. It's not a great instrument BUT I'd recommend the Fender Squier series pretty highly for $199 to $279 again depending on the above. I got a Squier 5 string which has a really really nice neck (for me) and pretty nice sound for less than $200 on an after Xmas sale. With a pick up upgrade it would be a great instrument and a real bargain. The existing pickups are actually fine just a bit modern compared to an older Jazz bass. (Grand piano sounding opposed to punchy.)

For books, Ed's are great. I'd highly recommend Rufus Reid's "The Evolving Bassist" (The 2000 Millenium Edition). It will include EVERYTHING you'd need for years unless you want to slap or tap.

It's about $30 and it's published by Warner Bros.

Rufus's book sounds and feels like it's written by a teacher. Ray Brown's book for instance doesn't teach it just throws pages in front of you. I'd definitely recommend books that feature sequenced instruction. Ed's are like that too. His "Walking" books are good examples. Good luck. Join us "on the bottom"!

Jim T.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Live Music,

The Fender Bronco (short scale 39") bass is available for $125 to 179 at places like Guitar Center depending on the time of year. It's not a great instrument BUT I'd recommend the Fender Squier series pretty highly for $199 to $279 again depending on the above. I got a Squier 5 string which has a really really nice neck (for me) and pretty nice sound for less than $200 on an after Xmas sale. With a pick up upgrade it would be a great instrument and a real bargain. The existing pickups are actually fine just a bit modern compared to an older Jazz bass. (Grand piano sounding opposed to punchy.)

For books, Ed's are great. I'd highly recommend Rufus Reid's "The Evolving Bassist" (The 2000 Millenium Edition). It will include EVERYTHING you'd need for years unless you want to slap or tap.

It's about $30 and it's published by Warner Bros.

Rufus's book sounds and feels like it's written by a teacher. Ray Brown's book for instance doesn't teach it just throws pages in front of you. I'd definitely recommend books that feature sequenced instruction. Ed's are like that too. His "Walking" books are good examples. Good luck. Join us "on the bottom"!

Jim T.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

OOPS-TYPO...

A short scale bass like the Fender Bronco is 30". Jim T. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Edgar Watson Howe

Live Music,

Two clarifications in case of misunderstandings... (I'm tired from the day job).

In case you aren't familiar with short scale basses I didn't mean to imply that they are inherently bad due to their scale length. On the contrary, check out the thread: " Looking for short scale/neck thru 6 string basses." also: "Using a Capo on bass." thread.

Also, just to clarify, the Evolving Bassist Book is written for stand up bass but aside from choosing your own guitar fingering if you so desire, the contents are very excellently laid out and useful for any professional/gig.. Jim T.

Edgar Watson Howe

At that price level, don't even think of buying anything new. That said, you can find a perfectly servicable used bass for that money, but you'll need some luck, patience, and an experienced bass player in tow. I have seen some very good but unfashionable instruments around that price in the States -- for instance, you can very likely find some good 80's metal-dork pointy headstock monstrosity (which will nevertheless sound good and play well), or a solid, bread-and-butter Japanese instrument from the 80's with Vantage, Westone, or Aria Pro II on the headstock (all made by the same factory, which now sadly only makes sewing machines).

After doing some research, I think the best CHEAP guitar you can get is a Squier Affinity P-Bass. Mars Music is currently selling these new at $169. And marsmusic.com has a package including bass, amp, bag, strap, and cord for $299. I've had this guitar recommended by some people online and by some local musicians. And since you don't plan to make a career out of playing the bass, you just want to learn how, this might be a good bet.

David

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,

but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "&$%^, what a ride". - Doug Berlin

I agree with Wise Man, whatever you end up doing, take an experienced bass player along to try it out before you buy. The feel and tone will be obvious to an experienced player very quickly.

Your price point is pretty low, and unless you run across a good used deal you will outgrow the el cheapo and want something better pretty fast.

When my son started playing bass a few years back, we ended up spending $350 or so and got a new Fender Jazz with a hard case. Don't forget the case! He has gotten pretty serious about it, and is still happy with that bass.

After narrowing down our search to a Jazz, we went to a store that had three or four on display and tried them all. The quality and feel varies quite a bit from example to example at this price range. We found one that I really liked, seemed much better to me than the others, and that's the one we bought.

Other possibilities in this price range include Fender Precision, DeArmond Pilot, Peavey Foundation, and a variety of Fernandes entry models.

Good Luck!

Archived