Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Forum Members....

FatFleaFreeman

I'm not sure if this topic has been covered before so forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif I'm just curious as to what styles everyone plays and how long they've been playing the bass for?

I'm three months into the process of learning the bass and everyhing is going well. I'm still working on a lot of the basics like fret finger positions and gaining stamina with my picking hand but its coming along rather well and my timing is getting a lot better. The hardest part is keeping from getting into bad habits while I try to play some of my favorite songs tabbed out. I'm into a lot of recent rock and punk like Rancid, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, NOFX and a ton of others so those are my influences.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Freeman

Welcome to world of bassdom. You will find a lot of great

help from a lot of great professionals here. I read a lot

of other boards and this is by far the best.

------------------

Thank you,

Craig S. Leyh

CraigLeyh@FrameBand.com

Thank you,

Craig S. Leyh

CraigLeyh@NVSMedia.com

Keep It Low!

Welcome to the low end of the freq!!! I know you'll enjoy the journey!

Who am I? Well I can tell you that I've been playing bass guitar for 23 years, plus I've also been a singer in various church choirs as a bass singer for 3 of those years.[an incredible learning experience!] I've played in cover bands and original bands, bars, festivals, outdoors, indoors, etc., ect., ect. Over the years, I've learned a few things that I hope may be of some use to you. I say this not as a side effect of some ego gone amok, but only because I wish I'd had this info when I started.

Anyway, in no particular order of importance...

DON'T BUY INTO THE HYPE!!! Learn all you can...take in all the info you can...but also learn to see a bias or prejudice when you hear it. Play w/a pick...don't play w/a pick...use this amp...don't use that effect...ect ect ect ad nauseum blahblahblah... just do what works for you! Ive gotten some amazing results by doing the exact opposite of what people told me. Figure out the result on your own!

DON'T TAKE YOURSELF TOO SERIOUSLY!!! Can't get it right? Can't get the sounds out of your head and onto the fretboard? Gee whiz, if I could do that I would be Bach, Beathoven, Hendrix and all the rest combined!!! Don't sweat the learning process, just enjoy the fact that you CAN learn!

LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN!!! Listen to everything. Even the stuff you don't like. I hate doing it, but you'll end up appreciating it down the road.

DON'T BUY INTO THE HYPE!!! Did I say that already? Yes. All I mean is...enjoy yourself! If you ever have a question, just ask. So HAVE A BLAST!!! [ricknbokker@hotmail.com]

Hey thanks for the advice. That's definitely something to stand by. I find myself wanting to be great overnight, but I realize that this is going to take some time. I just have to keep learning and not try to jump too far ahead. I find that if I take my time and pace myself, I'll learn a lot more than trying to overstep my boundaries. I also realized that some days I'll play well and other days I won't and with time the good days are going to start outnumbering the bad ones. As long as I get at least a half hour a day to practice I'm happy. Anyway, thanks for the advice. It's good to hear from people who have been playing for so long.

Archived