Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass tuning

JuR

In tuned my bass a whole tone lower. From EADG tuning to DGCF.

Mainly beacuse I wanted to have more range and a less synth-like sound.

Can i do this without risking any damage to my bass.

A guy said to me that this tuning whould damage my neck beacuse the tension of the strings would be lower.

I have a Precicion bass and my strings have a gauge of .105 .085 .070 .050.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoever told you that tuning down will hurt your neck is full of it. If anything, tuning UP will do the damage, because it puts more strain on the wood.

Tuning down a step is a great idea, if you like that sound. The 12-string guitarist Leo Kottke usually plays tuned down to Bb, and it sounds different and interesting.

Michael Manring does all kinds of weird tunings, so don't be afraid to experiment.

If you like the lower tuning, you may want to try a heavier set of strings. A 105 can get a little floppy at D, they make heavy gauge sets with a 50 or 55 "G" for this purpose. Lots of heavy metal bands tune down to Eb or lower to make the strings bend easier for leads. And of course lots of the new bands like Korn etc. are tuning down so they sound "dark and heavy".

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

• 2 weeks later...

I have a '69 Precision that I have been tuning DGCF for many years. Seems happy with regular Fender flatwounds. I play folk and a lot of songs (especially fiddle tunes) are in D, which was my original reason. Now I just leave it there all the time.

It also keeps me from wanting a 5 string - most of the time...

Archived