Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thanks!

Ed Friedland

It's been about 6 weeks now since Bass Station opened up, looking through what we've got here I must say, this group is off to an amazing start. At this writing we're at 1190 posts, averaging 198 posts a week. That makes me believe that bass players are still looking for new places to express themselves and get answers. Thanks to everyone for making this forum such a big success! It may sound obvious to say "I couldn't have done it without you" but guess what......

Onward, bassward, ho!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And thank you, Mr. Friedland, for taking the time for this forum. I've learned a great deal already. BTW, I definitely plan to get your books (and a BP subscription) as soon as my cash flow goes in the postive direction. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Ed, Than you! I've enjoyed the MATURE musicianship orientation of this forum VERY MUCH.

Although I am no prude by any stretch of the imagination, I have also been grateful for the lack of swearing/slang and appropriateness of the forum. The main reason being that I and many of us who work at public institutions have our internet use monitered and we like to access your site at work without job loss threats and taxpayer groups who look to see what their employees are looking at.

I personally am a public school teacher and if even ONE "F" word appeared on the forum I'd have to permanently quit any access at work to your wonderful resource. Perhaps this is an issue that might never occur to you and the users so I wanted to bring it up.

By way of direct comparison, Craig Anderton's audio forum is rife with

colorful language and topics and there is NO way that I could bring up that forum at work EVER! I like to use some of the info online with my students and unfortunately, this issue limits that. Hey, I use all of those words too-in my private life but I'm hoping that this forum will continue in the "clean livin'" manner that it has so far. What do you all think about this? Is there already an existing policy? Thanks, Gosh Darn and Tarnation.... Jim T.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Jim T.,

You know I never really noticed until you mentioned, but there has been no swearin' and cussin here! Well I'll be a *#%#$!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif (gee hope that doesn't trigger your filter!) Seriously, I don't believe I ever made the request, but in my years on TBL, I can't recall much of that going on there either. I guess bass players are not only cooler, we have better vocabularies and more self restraint (comes with the territory!)

Hey, I use those words too (especially if I hit my thumb with a hammer...) but something about the written word seems to make it less appealing. I also think that the internet has become a global stage, and we must assume that the world is watching. If that tends to make people consider their choices, then that's a good thing. Still, I think it's also a testament to the people that take part in this forum. Sure there are plenty of places online where you can go trash people (and be trashed), but I think most of us are tired of the immaturity. If people lurk here before posting they can get a sense of the vibe and see how to act. When in Rome...

Again my thanks to all of you, keeping track of things here and throwing my .02¢ worth in has become a great pleasure.

Any ideas on how to make things even more interesting are always welcome. I've been talking to some of my buddies in the manufacturing end of things and invited them to open a folder for questions and opinions, as of yet, no takers. I'll keep asking.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

This is a great site Ed, bravo. I've been playing bass for exactly one year and I feel like I can actually play the stupid thing. I've played 6-string guitar and keyboards forever but just never got around to the bass guitar. I wish I would have started sooner but doesn't everyone feel that way ?

Please keep up the good work. I've been a fan of this forum since you announced it on TBL. I gotta say I've learned a lot in a couple of months.

RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

• 2 weeks later...

Craig S. Leyh said: "I agree with Jim T. I like the respect everybody has for everyone else."

As the author of what is probably the oddest posting on this site, which concerns the fabled single-string fretless bass, I was gratified to read the two thoughtful, helpful responses posted in response to my question.

I'm impressed by both the civil tone of the discourse at this forum and the thoughtful responses given by accomplished musicians to "newbie at the bottom line" questions.

Somethin's happenin' here.

Again, the thanks goes out to everyone taking part here. It's becoming a great resource, and I appreciate the general spirit of cooperation that lives here. I'd like to share this little article I wrote that was just published in the Tucson Weekly, it's called "So You Want To Be A Bass Player?"

So, You Want To Be A Bass Player? by Ed Friedland

Anyone can play bass, its only got 4 strings. Youre the worst guitarist in the band, so YOU play bass! Bass is easy, you hardly have to play ANYTHING!

These are typical statements surrounding the myth of bass playing. On the surface, it seems as if the bassist simply stands there, semi-comatose, drooling and watching reruns of Jeopardy on his inner TV set. Hardly. Playing good bass IS a relatively simply thing, but consider the iceberg. What you see is 10% of whats going on. Under the waterline, the bassist is managing the disparate time feels of 4 other musicians, somehow finding the middle ground and connecting all these roving beats together. The bassist plays the right note under a chord, avoiding choices that can change the character of a song. We keep track of the form - did the guitarist just play the first chord of the bridge too early? Another potential train wreck averted by a watchful and authoritative bass player! Unseen to the average listener, the bassist is actually opening a channel deep down to the center of the earth, connecting with the core source of THE groove, drawing it up through the body/bass/amp circuitry and making the band and the crowd move. While often misunderstood, the role of the bassist is truly the noblest of all pursuits. Playing bass is a selfless act, a service to humanity. We subvert our own notoriety for the good of the song, the band, the music. So, you want to be a bass player? Many are called, few are chosen.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Oh manomanoman!!!!! I LOVE it! I've checked out a lot of forums on a lot of sites in the short time I've been online, and this is bar none the best. I too was caught unawares of the lack of bad language until I was posting a reply to a topic that really had me upset. I was four words into the 'rant' when I typed the 'F' word...stopped...and then backspaced it to nothingness when I realized I had not seen it used before on this forum! Awesome!!

But without a doubt, for me it's all about info, info, info. It's the same reason I subscribed to Bass Player since the first issue. Do I always agree? No way! Do I know anything about all of the subjects that are brought up? Not at all! That's not the point for me. Every time I'm on this site...everytime I read Bass Player, I LEARN something! And for me, that's what it's all about. And to be able to do it on this forum, under the conditions Jim T. talked about, makes it all the better! Thanks Ed, from a VERY grateful member. And thanks to all of the others who have posted messages. Thanks for the respect you show.

Archived