Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

open mic nights

shirojiro

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get involved in playing after a few years away from bass, and I've found a few places that have "open mic nights" here in San Francisco. However, in the past, I have not had the best experiences with these kind of events. It seems that most are blues jams, and the bass player is often not given much room to stretch out.

Is there an "obligatory" list of tunes that I should know in advance?

Does anyone know of any jams that are fun for bassists?

Thanks!

-Shin

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See my post regarding "Bass Players' Night", there will be a bass jam at the conclusion of the presentations. It is in San Jose on March 26. There is no admission charge, just a fun night for bassists.
I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I can tell you about a few. Some of them are better than others. It's been a while, though, since I visited any of them. This being in a band, having a family and having a job thing really takes up a lot of my time. Well, there's also my garden (do you like habaneros? They're great for chasing a shot of tequila).

The Quarternote in Sunnyvale has several sessions each week. It's anybody's guess which, if any, of these is worthwhile. The Thursday night jam involves Doc and Scott - Allman Bros is likely to rule (Doc can pretty much play anything the Allman Bros ever did with virtuosity).

Also in Sunnyvale is The Roadhouse on Evelyn. Thursday night. Last I heard it was fairly lame, though. I think you should go and draw your own conclusions. All I have to go on is hearsay.

In South San Jose, though, is The Fifth Quarter on Kooser Road. Tuesday nights they have a jam session that tends to be rock oriented. Bone up on Tom Petty, Bob Seger and other "working class" rock. Nothing newer the 1985, last time I was there. Heck, the guitarist didn't even know who Nirvana were, let alone the Gin Blossoms.

In Livermore at The Pine Street Grill on Pine Street (take 580 to Portola, turn right on Murrietta, left on Pine Street) on Tuesdays is another more rock oriented jam. This one is well run. And well attended. Get there early - the jam starts around 9:30pm and if you're not signed up by 8:00pm you probably won't get to play, IME. They (at least used to) enforce a strict rule of three songs or fifteen minutes, whichever comes first.

There's half a dozen or so Jazz oriented jams around town as well, mostly on Sunday nights. I don't run in those circles so it would be difficult to tell you where they are. I think there used to be one at the Garden City in San Jose, but 1) I could be wrong and 2) even if I'm right it probably isn't there anymore.

------------------

Michael Riehle

Bass Player/Band Leader

fivespeed

Michael Riehle

On a more jazz oriented note, you can check out my article "Jazz Survival Tips" at the Bass Player Online site: www.bassplayer.com/trenches/jazz.shtml It gives you some perspectives on sitting in at a jazz jam session, it ain't all pretty too!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Archived