Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What pickups should I get for my Mexican Fender J-Bass?

Mats Olsson.

I have a Mexican Fender Jazz Bass. At the moment it is being serviced and I just thought it might be a good idea to get some better pickups. What do you all think of that? Any suggestions? (The bass is being used by a lot of people in a recording studio.)

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just put a set of DiMarzio DP149 Ultra-Jazz pickups in my MIM Jazz fretless. They are terrific, great bottom, punchy mids, good highs and they're side by side humbuckers, so they are totally quiet in any configuration. They don't sound muted or compressed like a stack humbucker. They're about $100 or so. You may have to enlarge the pickup slot at the bridge as the MIM Fenders have only one size pickup, while most replacement sets (and stock USA Fenders) have a slightly longer pickup in the bridge position to accomodate the wider string spacing at the bridge.

Thanks a lot. The DiMarzio sounds like an intresting option, I might just go ahead and try them. I will wait a few days before surgery though, just in case some other Bass-forum poster has other suggestions.

Keep it coming please!

All replies are very welcome.

Best regards,

Mats

Bartolini? Hmmm, I wonder what they sound like... Craig can you please try to describe the sound a little?

Are there any other mods that are worth considering? (I´m not going to put another neck on it though, the neck I have is not bad at all actually. I´d rather buy one more bass).

/Mats

How about EMG ? My local dealer (who has a record of being very trustworthy), is suggesting EMG pickups for my Mex-Jazz Fender.

What do you gals/pals think of that?

/Mats

Regarding EMG's, I have an EMG P/J set that a previous owner installed in a fretless G&L L-1000, and they sound really good - warm with punch and clarity. In fact, our sound man took a track we had recorded using that bass to his sound engineering class, and his teacher wanted to know what kind of bass that was cause it sounded so good.

I just got a '95 Mexi-Jazz 5 string yesterday with what appears to be the "active" pu's. I figure to check out the Fender discussion group to try and figure out how the 4 knobs work - 1 is master volume, 1 is a stacked bass and treble gain/cut and 2 seem to be pickup blend knobs. I don't know if this is the original configuration or not, but there were two different types of knobs on the pots, so I suspect there might have been some modifications done. I have an Aguilar OBP-1 onboard preamp that I'm thinking of installing in this bass once I get a chance to figure out what I've got to begin with. Please keep this thread going- I suspect its of interest to alot of us here.

Keepin' the bottom going since '66 -

Steve Whitman

Craig,

No, actually I never put any other brand pickups in any of my Carvins. I've been happy with the stock stuff. The J99's are great sounding pickups, but I'm starting to consider going to a humbucker on my fretless as I tend to emphasize the bridge pickup, which gives me the old single coil hum. I recorded a gig last week DI'ed from my TC preamp to my Roland VS880, and I could very clearly hear the hum when I was in single coil mode. It bummed me out, but then I discovered the "Quiet 60Hz" effect on the Roland. Used as a channel inserted effect, it removes virtually all the hum wihtout adversely effecting the tracks!

The H50N Carvins are quiet, and I remember liking them, I might swap them in for the J99's but I'm also curious about the DP149s in a 5 string set.....

Gary Willis has a great sounding Barto designed for his basses, I'm not sure of the configuration, but it's quiet and very full range. I asked someone at Bartolini, but they weren't really divulging anything specific, they compared it to their 9W Jazz pickup.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Thanks for all replies!

I just asked the shop to put DiMarzio DP149 Ultra-Jazz pickups on my sunburst. I like silent & your description of the sound.

I also decided on EBS Northern Lights Classic strings.

Now I'll just have to wait. You guys can expect a brief report i due time.

Again, thanks.

/Mats

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all!

Thanks a lot for helping me out, I am very very satisfied with the results.

I just returned from the studio. 3rd bass player to use the "new" Mexi-Jazz had no doubts - this instrument was as least as good-sounding as any Fender she had ever played in studio.

All players have been happy so far, thats fer sure.

My personal observations: It is quiet (just as you said it should!) the sound of the bass has improved a lot, smoth with solid definition and it is really easy get a sound that works in the mix with the other instruments. It also seems like drummers finds it easier to play along with the bass.

Any more ideas on how to improve this instrument some more?

What would a badass give, soundwise? Any alternatives?

Happy regards,

Mats Olsson

Mats,

Glad you dig the DMZs. I've been happy with them too. Putting a Badass II on the MiM Jazz would be a big improvement. I have one on my '74 Jazz and I love it. If you really want to go all out, put in a J-Retro preamp, it will make the bass sound like a million bucks (before taxes!)

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Originally posted by Ed Friedland:

Mats,

Putting a Badass II on the MiM Jazz would be a big improvement. I have one on my '74 Jazz and I love it. If you really want to go all out, put in a J-Retro preamp, it will make the bass sound like a million bucks (before taxes!)

Hi again,

Badass II, what kind of improvment can I expect?

J-Retro preamp, whats that? what kind of improvment can I expect? who makes 'em? How much?

/Mats

The Badass II bridge will give you more sustain, a better fundamental and clearer harmonics. The J Retro is the most badass preamp I've ever heard. It's $250 and worth every penny, it just may be too much of an investment in a Mexi Fender. It has bass, treble and sweepable mids and is very well voiced. You can read more about it and order one from Dude at www.vintagebass.com

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Archived