Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

stompboxes.

rumpelstiltskin.

i just bought a BOSS PH-3 phaser for my guitar setup, but i haven't played guitar through it yet. i just can't unplug my bass from that box (except, of course, to save the battery)! i've also played through a ProCo RAT from back in the day. i have always enjoyed it, even if no one else has enjoyed it with me!

that said, i also have the ODB-3 bass overdrive pedal from BOSS and no multi-effects rack unit, and i'm wondering what kinds of effects you people play through. does anyone find a rack unit indispensible? what are your favorite effects? any made specifically for bass?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own a range of Boss effects:

chorus

bass chorus

octaver

harmonizer

bass synth

as well as an original MU-tron III.

I have also owned an ART multi-effects unit and a mini-moog in the past.

With all that, I rarely use any effects.

First of all, the bass sounds better without going through all the effects (even if they're turned off).

Second, the producers I work with never want any effects.

Third, if you use an effect more than once an hour, you are over-using it. Therefore it becomes a little ridiculous to drag all that stuff around and set it up to play a two hour show.

If I had to choose two to keep, the most useful are the octaver and the bass chorus.

------------------

http://www.jps.net/jeremy/basspage.html

I've always gone pretty effect-less, because my live gigs never have enough room to put pedals down. At home however, I've found different tones to my liking.

The Bass Balls from Electro-Harmonix is one of the coolest, most legit sounds ever. If only I played in a funk band. I bought one, and gave it away to a friend playing funk because salsa, Celtic, and bebop rarely call for "That Bootsy Sound." Still, at $75 there isn't a better deal anywhere.

Strangely, one of my favorite effects is the Line 6 Delay Modeler. Some light, warm delay adds a smooth, transparent effect to soloing. I tend not to like reverb on bass except in the final mix, but some slapback is interesting. Also, the loop function lets me solo under my own funk, so naturally I love that.

Everyone swears by the TC Electronics Chorus pedal, but I haven't got $300 for one effect. I found that the Boss Bass Chorus pedal sounds great, evens out the top end nicely, and won't make you pull your hair out if it gets lost or broken on tour.

I have a Zoom 506 bass effects pedal that I never use live or in practice. The effects are generally sloppy and very noisy, editing them is fairly easy if you sit down on the floor and play with it.

However, I do find that I use it at home to inspire myself.

I would like to find a good chorus, a good delay, and maybe a compressor. But I wouldn't use them much anyway...

- Christian

I just use my run my head through a compressor/limiter. Behringer Composer Pro. I don't know anyone else that does this, but I really like the sound. I've never liked the stomp boxes, just because I can't dance very well http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

I actually have not been able to find any that I like as much, or find as versatile as rack units. I am also smitten by all the blinking lights. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

One thing I would consider is a cool bass synth pedal. Anyone know any really good ones? (That don't lose the effect when you play below an A?)

Well, I too have a million pedals laying around that never get used! I generally like the clean sound, but a little chorus is nice sometimes. I've been using the Zoom 506II alot though. It's a huge improvement over the original version as far as noise and battery life. Mostly I use it for reverb when I solo, and I use a heavy chorus sound to simulate a leslie effect for my walking/chords approach. It does an okay job of that. It does effect the sound of the bass in bypass mode, and it does bug me, but....

I have TC Chorus too, it's pretty good, I'm not sure if i'll keep it, they are expensive, but I might let it go for $150. It's not inpristine shape physically, but it works. I find it adds a little mid range which does help it cut through the mix, unfortunately, the mid bump is there in bypass too. I like it for chorusing, but it doesn't do the leslie thing to my liking. I tried the Line 6 Modulation modeler and it had a nice leslie sound, but....too expensive for my taste, and the effect didn't seem rich enough for bass, it may have worked better on high frequencies.

I have an original EBS OctaBass, it's cool, but I've only used it a few times. I have a DOD Envelope filter, but find it hard to control. It tends to suck the bottom out of the sound, and send these huge bass bombs through my amp when it's modulating the effect. Not useful. Maybe I should try a BassBalls. You know, bottom line is, I don't really need effects, and they are usually not worth the effort to set them up on the gig.

And yet, I hear guys that really have the effects thing down like Dave Pomeroy doing his solo thing and think it's incredibly cool....

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

well i love fx...

what i do is split my signal in two.

signal one goes into a big muff, a t.c. electronics eq, a urei la-12 compressor then into a small mackie.

signal two goes into a bass mirco synth, a electrix filter factory, a digitech 2101 guitar processor then into the mackie as well.

i roll the low end off channel two and controll the filter sweep with a midi foot controller.

gives me a big wet funky tone for my live drum and bass/dub/house band FREQUENCY LAB

"fuzz"

This message has been edited by spacebass on 03-21-2001 at 04:05 PM

Archived