Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Five fret stretch

dansouth

I've always used a three- or four-fret left hand position, depending on the song, but I've seen some scale and arpeggio exercises in columns by John Myung and Roscoe Beck that cover five frets. I have big hands, but a five-fret stretch in the first or second position is very uncomfortable (it's not so bad further up the neck).

Are these guys really stretching their hands that far or are they shifting a bit to hit the notes? I can't play legato in this position; I can't even hold it for very long (it's painful). Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? I asked my teacher about this, but he doubles on upright and doesn't use a five-fret stretch at all, being more Simandl-oriented.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dan,

When I first started playing bass, I used just my RH thumb as a pick anchoring 1st, 2nd, and third finger on the finger rest that used to be near the G string on basses (circa 1963). At that point the RH was the impediment to increasing speed. I simply cound not get my thumb (down strokes only) to move fast enough to keep up with my LH, so there was no need, early on, to be concerned with how I played with my left hand (basically which ever finger gets there first wins).

When I started using at least 2 RH fingers (walking) to pluck the strings then the LH was the problem with regard to increasing speed of execution of notes.

It was at that point I started using one finger per fret with the possibility of shifting to get two additional notes per position (one note above or below the 4 fret positions for a total of six notes per position beyond the second position). Mostly I use one finger per fret. I have always treated my pinky as equal to the other fingers. It has been said that you should not use your third finger alone but to back up the pinky. This is especially true of "proper" upright technique. I am not saying this is the technique YOU should use, only trying to explaine how I came to use it.

BL

BassLand

www.BassLand.net

Dan,

Well, the first thing I'll say is if it hurts, don't do it! Reinforcing strain in the hands is asking for problems.

I myself do occasionally use what I call "extension" fingering. That's where I play a whole step between the first and third finger, then pivot up to play a whole step between the third and fourth finger. Even in first position, this can be accomplished without strain if you keep your thumb low behind the neck, and really lean into it so you're coming from below the fingerboard. You MUST pivot between 3 and 4 to avoid overstretching. It has it's uses, and of course in higher positions, it's much easier. Above the 12th fret I use this all the time without having to pivot.

Here's an unusual method of playing a 2 octave F major scale with extended fingerings.

I DO NOT attempt to stretch for these notes in one position, I use the same "dropped" left hand position I use for extension fingerings to reach as far as is comfortable and pivot and shift where needed.

The fingering for the strings are as follows:

E string. 1,2,3,4

A string 1,2,3,4

D string 1,2,3,4,

G string 1,3,4

G ______________________________________7__9__10____________________

D __________________________5__7__8__10_____________________________

A _____________3__5__7__8__________________________________________

E _1__3__5__6______________________________________________________

There are times when being able to do this comes in handy. Slow, exposed tunes in the studio where you need to move without creating fret noise (for us roundwound users!) is one that comes to mind.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Ed and BL, thanks for your comments. I have been trying to stretch between the first and second fingers. This works fine except for the lowest two positions - ouch! I'll try the rolling technique.

I'm familiar with the scale pattern that Ed mentioned, and in fact, it's part of my warmup routine. I finger it differently, using shifts:

E: 1-shift-1-3-4

A: 1-shift-1-3-4

D: 1-shift-1-2-4

G: 1-3-4

...but I'll try your fingering - sounds intruguing.

Archived