Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2x10's vs ?x15's

ST.Morigeaugte.net

Now I know this topic has been discussed before....... I bought a new rig... I told my guitar player what I was going to purchase ((2) 2x10's and a GK2000RB)prior to, but now .... for cry outside you'd think he was my wife and I had done so without her permission. He has some very strong views on what a Blues/Rock bassist should be using to shape his sound..... (Like Fletcher at Mercenary.. he's already called my 5 a 'Banjo').

I do know that Bass or low frequency is non-directional. And that a 15" driver projects a lot further than a 10"... I believe this rig to be quite versatile, and that the dispersion is very effective.

Can you folks chime in here and either bust my chops or gimme some Ammo.

Mo Undersiege

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use 2X10's most of the time. They work fine. For blues I roll off the tweeters. 2 10"s give you more speaker surface area than a 15", they're more versatile than 15"s and they can handle more power, so tell your guitarist that, and tell him to get a life!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

I guess it depends on if you generally have a PA and a sound man. If you have the sound man then the 2x10s are a great idea. It also depends on what 2x10s you're using. I use 2 Eden 210xlts for almost all my gigs. They seem have the most low end I've heard for 2x10s. I had some Carvins that actually kicked a lot of butt(and you can't beat the price) before I scored the Edens. Though the 2x10s are great, for larger venues and especially outdoor gigs I add a SWR Triad cab. I do like the size of the bass enhanced when the venue has the room for it. Ultimatley, you will get bigger bass with house support. So it depends on your situation. I do think they are a good start. As far as the 5 string goes, for blues I use the B string as a thumb rest. My main bass is a Sadowsky Vintage 5. As long as you respect the style of music I don't see a problem with 5 strings. There are still 4 string snobs out there. I think part of it is their exposuer to B string abuse. Good luck. K.D.

I use a 2 1O" cabinet, but I add a cabinet with 1 15" speaker or a folded horn cabinet with 1 18" if I'm playing load. Usually when people say use this or that I tell them "Go buy it and I'll use it." That usually shuts them up.

Buddy

<< As far as the 5 string goes, for blues I use the B string as a thumb rest.>>

Have you tried playing everything on the B string from the 5th fret up? I like the way it sounds up there, fatter than the E string. It also gives your left arm a break from reaching out to the first fret all night. I especially like the B string up there for the thumb/mute technique. It's seriously fat, and the palm muting controls the extra boominess well.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

Yes Ed I have used the B with muting to simulate an upright. Works pretty well. I remember the article where you mentioned it in Bass Player. For the most part though I feel that sonically using the B string for parts that can be played on the E string don't quite sound right. A little large in comparison. One of the things I do like about my Sadowsky Vintage 5 is that when I play it as a 4 string it sounds like a great Jazz 4. In certain styles of music for me, it seems to be the best approach. At least now when I show up for a session or gig with it, more traditional styles of artists don't give me that look. Hell sometimes they don't even notice that it's not a 5. Well after a while they do ask me why the neck is so wide. In the world of 11 1/2 bar blues, the II is the IV. Why? Because it's the 2nd chord in the progression.(a little blues humor) Have a great day. K.D.

Archived