Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Learning Materials

Ed Friedland

What are some of your favorite learning tools? Books, Videos, CDs, CD-Roms, etc.

Are there any types of learning aids out there that you'd like to see developed?

(While this may seem like I'm fishing for compliments on my own books, I'm really not!)

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ed, I know that you weren't looking for compliments of your own books, but currently I have been working out of your Building Walking Bass Lines book and enjoying it. I use it not just for the basslines but also for the standards in the back to play the melodies of the tunes and to learn the changes by comping chords on my six string Alembic. By the way, what Charlie Parker tune is that?
I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Hey guys,

I love collecting music books and other educational resources. Here are a few of my favorites:

"Charlie Parker Omni Book" - Great resources that works out your reading skills, while giving you great ideas for improv.

"Slap Bass Video - by Alexis Sklarevski" - This video is THE BEST video for learning to slap. I hope it comes out in DVD soon because I have worn out 2 video tapes.

"Reading in 4/4" - This Louis Bellson book is great for isolating different rhythm figures and polishing them up.

"Alfred Mastertracks Jazz" - This playalong CD and book features Tom Worthington on bass and Steve Houghton on drums. The selection of tunes represent several common forms and a wide variety of tempos. If you can't find a combo to practice with, this is a good option.

I could go on forever, and I know that I have missed some great books, but this is a good start. I want to take a moment and compliment Ed on his series of books. I always pick up anything with his name on it because I know his books will be well-researched, well-presented and fun to work through. Good work Ed! Keep it up!

Dale

Thanks guys, I really wasn't fishing for compliments, but I'll take them! Ditto Dale on the Louis Bellson book! I liked Alexis' Slap Bass Video too, I've referred a few people to that as well.

Standing In The Shadows Of Motown by Dr. Licks

The Funk Masters Dr. Licks

Bach Cello Suites

Note Reading Studies For Bass by Arnold Evans

Just a few more titles I like.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

happy sunday, lately I've really been loveing my

QY-20 for learning tunes. Nothing like punching in the chords to a standard and walking through it for an hour, at different speeds.

TRANSCRIPTION SOFTWARE (TRANSCRIBE!)transcribing, analyzing and playing other musicians lines has helped me out in alot of areas. Before I got this slow down program, transcribing was torture now I can actually complete what i want to get on paper.

FAKE BOOKS; old stand-by "THE REALclose BOOK, AND THE NEW REAL BOOKS from Sher.

NAPSTER, it's great to be able to find just the right version of a tune, esp. if I'm looking for the verse or a certain intro.

JAM SESSIONS; listening, and learning from other players, getting my ass kicked by a tempo, having to figure out alternate changes on the fly. I always come away from a session knowing what I need to work on.

MARK LEVINE'S JAZZ THEORY,from sher. loaded w/ info, great reference book. DAVID BAKERS;TECHNIQUES FOR IMPROV... 100'S OF exercises, when I'm really warmed up and working in this book it seems like all the right notes are highlighted on the fingerboard.

For sightreading I like;

STURM STUDIES, METHOD du CONTRABASSE EDUOARD NANNY, KRUETZER STUDIES, BIG BAND CHARTS(seems like i ended up with a pile of these somehow)HEADS.

COFFEE..................

bill

Archived