Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Upright Players

Ed Friedland

My list of personal favorites would take up the entire forum, but here's a few:

Scott LaFaro - groundbreaking innovator. Daring new conception, brilliant improviser, technical trendsetter, harmonic visionary.

Eddie Gomez - Took Scotty's technique up another level, amazing sound, distinctive voice, rhythmic attack like an AK47 on full auto, exceptional bow soloist.

Ron Carter - Groundbreaking rhythm section conception with Tony Williams, solid and grooving yet able to switch gears at the drop of a hat. Later created a distinct sound that focussed on serious growl and sustain.

Paul Chambers - The Iron Man of the late 50's. Played on everything! Never faltered, always in the pocket, warm, woody sound, could stand up to any horn player as a soloist, despite scratchy tone he swung like a demon with the bow.

More?

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a great list of players. I'll have to add a couple.

Dave Holland-His virtuosity just kills me. Listen to his solo on the Fabulous Baker Boys soundtrack "Shop 'til you drop." His solo is so fast and tasty I could scarcely believe it could be played on upright.

John Patitucci-In addition to being a killer electric player, his upright playing is incredible. His sound is so big and focused, his soloing is very dexterous, and his swing is driving.

Rufus Reid-Big pocket, big sound, easy-going style. He's played behind everyone, so you know he's got it where the music counts.

Ray Brown, Ray Brown, Ray Brown. He practically defined what's a modern jazz upright player!! I saw him live at a NAMM show many years ago in Chicago. It was a life altering experience. He plays with such force and authority while remaining calm and relaxed. He SWINGS with the best.

I saw Edger Meyer in an intimate classical recital 4 or 5 years ago. There's only one word that fits---unbelievable.

Well, I knew I'd agree with EVERYONE on this topic!

Yes, Edgar Meyer is phenominal. Have you checked out his tune "Pickles" on Appalachia Waltz? Very funky. That whole record is wonderful, but Edgar really knocks me out.

Michael Moore! Have you heard his duo CD with Rufus Reid? There's also a video of them from Bass Day 97 that's worth seeing. They played Oleo as fast as humanly possible, Rufus is pounding out quarter notes, and Michael is calmly blowing a killer arco solo over the top, swing eighth notes like it was just a walk in the park. Michael has a beautiful sound, fantastic intonation, great lines, a terrific groove, great ideas, and a sense of humor. Plus, he's a very personable guy. Check out his book "Melodic Playing In The Thumb Position". It's a well thought out method for working up there.

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

How about

Ray Brown - lovely, just lovely his playing make me drool.

Eddie Gomez - I first heard of him when he was playing with

Steps Ahead.

Steve Rodby - Pat Metheny picked a versatile guy when he joined

the musical ensemble.

Ron Carter - always blew me away with his chops

Andy Gonzales - Afro-Cuban-Carribean-Latin jazz thy root name is BASS

John Patitucci - another versatile player

Stanley Clarke - better known for his electric work but he is classically

trained

So many players, so little space ...

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Well, take the upright players from my rhythm section list (Scott LaFaro, Charlie Haden, William Fowell, Alan Silva, & Michael Formanek), add William Parker and Mark Rubin (you've got to have at least one slap player on your list, right?), and you've got a pretty fair start on a list of who my favorite upright players are. Although the complete list would be pretty damn long.

This message has been edited by Mr. Wise Man on 02-22-2001 at 12:46 PM

Hi All,

This is will sound strange but since I am an electric player first. My first influence was Ron Carter. I wanted to do on electric what Ron did on upright. Then I came out to California and studied with Ray Brown. He quickly became an influence at that point for his command of the instrument. Again my goal was to do on the electric what Ray does with such finess on the upright. What really made me get an upright and actually try to play it was finding our my favorite electric bass player was originally an upright bassist.

I have evolved in my admiration for the instrument by having such buddies as James Leary III, whom I got my upright from. James is currently the bassist for the Count Basie Orchestra and was Sammy Davis' bassist among many other musical accomplishments. Through James, I got to know Al McKibbon. Al, raised in Detroit, played bass since 1936 and played with Coleman Hawkins, Thelonious Monk and Dizzy in NYC and later came out to California to do studio and TV work. Al is 82 and still going strong. For a while we hung out on a daily basis taking daily walks. Al has many stories about his 60+ years as a bassist. I consider it a privilege to know James and Al.

BL

http://bassland.net/1bigal.htm

This message has been edited by BassLand on 02-25-2001 at 08:45 PM

BassLand

www.BassLand.net

Y'all,

One of my personal faves has got to be Ali Friend from Red Snapper.. These guys play a mixture of jazz and electronica, all with 'real' instruments. Check out their 'Prince Blimey' album if you're interested.

Also, I like Chris Wood from MMW, and let's not forget Charlie Haden, too.

Cheers!

------------------

Rob Miller

Philadelphia, PA

www.bklounge.net

Rob Miller

Philadelphia, PA

www.JimmyRipp.com

hey everyone, just to mention a few of my favorites. George Mraz, Harvie Swartz(amazing),George Duvivier, and another vote for Mr. P.C.

bill

This message has been edited by bilmac on 02-24-2001 at 12:20 AM

Well so many great cats mentioned - Scott LaFaro, Mr.PC, Dave Holland ( one of my alltime favs - stuff w/ Braxton) - no ones mentioned Gary Peacock - exquisite sense of melody & improvisation ..... amazing pulse - truly brilliant, Miroslav Vitous - ever hear his solo album? How about Drew Gress - very deep player! Charlie Haden - what a heart - talk about being in the right place in the music!

So many others !!

Another cool thread!

• 3 months later...

Singlestring wrote:

"I'm very interested in reading what the members of this forum have to say about Mingus and his music."

I'm in a group "Bassed on Jazz", three bassists and a drummer playing jazz tunes. All of us are into Mingus. We currently do two Mingus numbers, Goodbye Pork Pie Hat and Self Portrait in Three Colors. The third time through "Portrait" we each have one of the three melodies. Mingus is not only a good bassist but a great composer.

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Only names missing for me from the earlier players are Slam Stewart and Jimmy Blanton. Check out Blanton's duets with Ellington. They're great.

For newer guys, Charnett Moffett, Marc Johnson, and Christion McBride come to mind (hope I didn't mis-spell any names).

- pt

Dave Holland! I've seen him live with his octet a couple of months ago ... wow, it was GREAT! If you ever get the chance, check him out. Also Larry Grenadier, I've seen him with Brad Mehldau last year.

And of course Paul Chambers, Jimmy Garrison and Ron Carter.

Dave Holland was here in Vermont last Tuesday (Burlington, Vermont, has an annual "Discover Jazz" festival) with his quintet and they were great.

In addition to the names mentioned, I love the sound of Major Holley.

One of Charlie Parker's bassists was Tommy Potter. Anybody that can swing at that tempo deserves mention. On one tune on a compilation CD, An Hour With Charlie Parker, it sounds like he's bowing bar chords at high speed!

Archived