Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mass production VS "Boutique" luthiers

xtian_dup1

I have really been struck by the look of the Warwick Dolphin Pro I 5-string bass. I don't tend to go for "strangely shaped" instruments, but this one is beautiful to me.

If you don't know what I am talking about, check it out at:

http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/dolphin.html

However, I am never going to spend almost $4000 on ANY mass-produced bass. I am morally opposed to it. If I gave that money to Bill Conklin (or Karl Hoyt, or David King, or Roger Sadowsky, or Jack Read, etc), he would make me something so perfect and beautiful that it would make you cry. Not only that, it would be YOURS only, and would have whatever special features you wanted.

So I have 2 questions for the bass freak-o-holics on this list:

#1 - What is the "top end" you would pay for a mass-produced bass?

#2 - What do you think of the look of the Dolphin Pro I? Do you find it attractive?

My answers are, $2200 and YES, respectively.

- Christian

Budapest, Hungary

www.Crunchy-Frog.com "Groove music for groovy people."

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you on the looks of the Warwick Dolphin. It is a beautiful instrument. Having a wife and kids I think that my top-end for a mass-produced bass would be around $2000 - $2500. To me this the equivalent of a down payment on a car with a trade-in http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif. I do love music and love playing the bass but I do have other priorities. Perhaps if I were still single my price range would be a little bit more.

As far as boutique vs mass-produced. I guess it is all up to the player and what he/she is looking for in a bass. There seems to be a lot of boutique makers that can really make personalized instruments and are very accomodating. The bigger makers have discovered this space and are starting to market to the so-called discreminating player.

After hearing Al Turner, The Burner play in clubs back in my home town (Motown) I used to lust after having a Ken Smith 5 or 6 string bass. It seemed to be a very versatile bass and adaptable to most any musical situation. The cost is just too prohibitive for me now. I don't even know if it qualifies as a boutique bass anymore. The guy up in Toronto, Canada who makes the basses for Orrin Issacs also seems to make very versatile and beautiful basses.

I think there are a lot of variables but most important is what the player is looking for in tone and playability. If love it and can afford it go for it.

RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Well, I guess I already proved what I am willing to spend, as my Tobias Classic 5-string cost around $3500. But what an axe! I never been so comfortable with the tone, playability, and looks of an instrument. Moreover, it's from the Gibson days, so I guess, technically, it's mass produced.

I really can't see spending more than that on an instrument. At a certain point, the tone and action can't get any better, and you're paying for 34" dragon inlays and other decorations. Gold leaf is for churches and fancy furniture, not basses you might take into a club!

Archived