Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Salsa and latin bass: Baby Bass or not?

bootyquake

It seems that many afro-cuban musicians really prefer the vintage Ampeg Baby Bass for laying down salsa tumbaos, as opposed to using a regular electric bass. Never mind that Sal Cuevas, Juan Formell, Oscar Stagnaro, and Lincoln Goines lay down great latin lines with electrics, some people can't get away from the sound of the Baby Bass, which is expensive and rare.

Is this justified? Does the instrument "make" the bassline? Or is this just a case of tradtionalists being a bit dogmatic?

If you play afro-cuban music, how do you lay down the groove?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Azola makes repros of the BB, so does Ray Ramirez. I'm sure they're not cheap, but certainly not in the "vintage" price range. The string length does have a factor in the depth of sound, and the hollow body filled with foam. The BB is a classic sound. That said, I can get a very good facsimile of it with palm muting on electric bass. Unless you're playing with a more modern group that does afro-cuban funk as well, I can see the preference for the BB as a traditionalist thing. It's also the look. I have a gig this weekend where I was told, "they would like to see the upright" SEE the upright!

Oscar Stagnaro is a very old friend from Boston days, he is a bad mutha$^#%

That boy can play!

Oh, I agree that the Baby Bass swings like a rope. Those big strings, that hollow drum-like sound, it beats the pants off the electric bass. But frankly I don't know if it's worth spending $1500 - $3000 for extra resonance...not unless this particular gig starts paying more money and quick. But I suppose that is a personal decision.

What enrages me is the unenlightened traditionalist aspect--they want the Baby because it's "the tradition," which is usually a nonsensical argument. Also, as you point out, they want to SEE the upright...what the hell do the dancers care, as long as la clave tiene mucho swing, loco. Grumble, grumble...

It's reminds me of a story I read where Stu Hamm was called to audition for a gig in Hollywood (with Cher, was it?) and the first thing they asked him was, "So what do you look like?" I suppose anyone meaning to play seriously has to accept the shallow, pathetic nature of the entertainment industry.

Cheers!

Many people hear with their eyes. But a Fender doesn't sound like a baby bass doesn't sound like an upright doesn't sound like an Alembic.

You will gain the most credibility by having the appropriate axe for the gig, even if you can similuate the sound by using something else.

Just check out the bias of most jazz players toward electric!

I don't think I would bring a Steinnberger to blues gig, either.

------------------

http://www.jps.net/jeremy/basspage.html

The baby bass has the distinct tone associated with many latin bands if you have one and your on a latin gig bring it but what will be most rememberd by the other players and listeners is whether you had a solid tumbao not what you played it on as Armando Peraza puts it "the bass dont play you man, you play the bass"

Archived