Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Rig........Hmmm??

ST.Morigeaugte.net

I've been looking around and inquiring about a new rig. I was looking into an EDEN "Metro", with the intent of picking up the D-410XLT down the road. This was my intent......... I had also considered building a system around an Acme Low B-4 Series II cab.. But was very serious about the Eden. But this decision was changed when I came across and bought a new GK 2000RB for 700 bucks.....

What did I do to myself?? I've never used GK's..... Feeling a little second thoughts here.

Mo

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The question is.... In ones humble opinion which is a better purchase? I was hoping to solicit a response from the forum peeps that may have or know something about both the GK as a head and the 'Metro'.

Did I make a mistake? I've got fifteen days to return the GK. I haven't order the 4x10 I'd like to use with it. I'm fishin for feed back on the GK Vs the Eden 'Metro'.

I'm gonna be using this sucker for a while and need to make an informed choice. The price on the GK seemed to good to pass up so I snagged it, but I do have the option to return it.

Curious Lil Mo

This message has been edited by Mo Thumper on 02-13-2001 at 09:49 AM

Mo,

I don't personally have any experiences with the GK, but I could swear that I remember some TBL'ers saying that they were somewhat unreliable. You may want to check the TBL archives on this subject:

http://www.amstadt.com/tbl

Cheers!

------------------

Rob Miller

Philadelphia, PA

www.bklounge.net

Rob Miller

Philadelphia, PA

www.JimmyRipp.com

My general impressions - I own a GK combo and have play the Metro in a store - is that Eden has a warm sound from the start, while GK is rather clean - maybe a little too clean. You might want to use a tube preamp (or solid state tube simulator) to warm up the sound of the GK, but it all depends on the type of music you play. Maybe the GK sound is best for you without any enhancement. My two bits.

Reliability of the GK........? I reviewed posts on the TBL (thanks Rob M). I hear that they have been an industry standard. The music store that I shop at is just short of reluctant to give serviceability data on GK's other than they are way better than most, but not the best....... Kind of a hedge..

?? Mo

When GK first came out with the RB series (around 1982) some of the first year production units had reliability issues, mostly fried power stages. This was also reported on some early versions of the 250ML and 200MB amps.

GK apparently corrected whatever the trouble was because for the last 15 years their amps have built an enviably solid record for roadworthiness.

Originally posted by Mo Thumper:

Let me ask the question this way........ doing Club gigs........ Do ya really need 1000w mono?....... is 500w stereo cool? What about stage volume?........... Should the FOH or mains carry most of the load??

Mo

Well, there's no such thing as too much headroom! You may not need it all, but it's nice to know it's there. Personally, I don't go for bi-amping, I run full range because my cabs have a crossover built in and that does the job. The advantage of having a stereo power amp is you can have one side as a backup amp if one side blows, or as an auxiliary pa amp in an emergency. Depending on the size of the club, FOH may be a non issue. Many of the rooms I play don't have sound systems, you show up and carry the room with what you got! In the bigger rooms, usually the guitar player is so loud that I need to have some serious power behind me just to monitor myself, or perhaps the stage is so big I can't hear myself unless I'm cranked. Also, it's just plain fun to play loud sometimes (insert hearing protection warning here!).

Archived