Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Manring coming to town

harp

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose a more descriptive answer would be helpful huh?

Manring plays mostly 4 string fretless bass, a Zon Hyper-Bass that he designed. It has detuners on all 4 tuning pegs as well as detuners at the bridge. This allows him to change tunings on the fly. He uses this to very good advantage. He does do alot of two hand tapping, but very musically. Not your typically shred a triplet to death stuff, more like what Victor Wooten and Stu Hamm do. The fact that it's on fretless adds a whole new dimension to it. He plays several pieces using multiple basses, two around his neck, some being held by audience members, maybe one laying on a stand. It's not just a gimmick, it's musical. He does have pretty amazing chops, but he also can play very simple things beautifully. Why not go out and buy a CD before you go? My choice would be "Drastic Measures"

I think Mr. Manring is probably the most tasteful of the "chops god" bass players, and the one with the best compositional skills. I actually mean this to be more of a complement than a "he's the one-eyed king of the blind" type of statement, although I generally avoid chops gods like the plague that they are -- he's a hell of a sideman, too, and has made and played on some pretty adventurous records.

Archived