Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's Your Favorite Combo Amp?

marty

Originally posted by Ed Friedland:

Do you run one from the line out, or do you split the signal before the amp (or does it make a difference?)

You hit on my ONLY gripe with the BB.

Unlike most amps, the line out/power amp in is BEFORE the master volume, so when slaving, you can't use the master volume on one to control the other.

So run both masters full up, you say, and use the gain control for volume adjustments. This works as long as you don't ever need the volume at ZERO because the SWR gain control is really a trim pot not a volume control. At the 0 position, some signal still passes...in fact with the master up all the way a LOT of signal passes http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif If you use your master volume for muting the amp (for example when tuning up) this is a minor annoyance.

Despite this, a pair of BBs is very flexible: run them as a mono slaved setup, run them as a stereo slaved setup, run them as two discrete amps for stereo with individual EQ.

This message has been edited by brianrost on 03-27-2001 at 03:50 PM

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eden Nemesis 210.

Mine weighs 53 lbs (out of curiosity I actually weigh my amps - you can't always believe catalog weights), and I can carry it up and down stairs by myself no problem. The ability to go up and down stairs easily, without smacking a dolly bump bump bump, is my key test for what makes a combo. If you're going to need a dolly, you might as well use separates.

I also have a relatively new Peavey Combo 115. I know Peavey isn't politically correct, but this thing has a BIG sound. Alas, it weighs 105 lbs and always takes two people to move it anywhere that casters won't go. My son is now using it at college. He's young and strong...

I had a GK 400/115 for about three weeks before I got the Nemesis, but I couldn't really find the tone I wanted, and it was defective as well, and the dealer took it back. The Nemesis tone eats the GK tone for lunch, IMHO, and the GK weighs 20 or 25 lbs more, too.

Have you used the Acoustic Image Contra combo? I'd be very interested to hear what you think of the combo for electric bass. Thanks!

Now I use my Acoustic Image Clarus with a homemade box that contains a Carvin 600watt 15" in it. I put one of the aforementioned cheap tweeters in it and I have a very small, heavy duty rig that puts out 200 watts and is bomb proof. I even use this cab with my Trace 350 head on blues gigs and it kicks butt. But....it's not really a combo is it, so why I am I talking about it???? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif[/b]

Hi BenLoy-

What are your reasons for preferring the DK/Acme over the Contra for electric bass?

Nevermind! Ed replied to a person email and answered the question.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

The Acoustic Image contra is a great little amp. 26 pounds and 300 watts!! It warmed up my electric upright a lot (Messenger), and it works well with electric basses as well, although I usually prefer to pull out my G-K/Acme rig with that (still small, but not quite as easy on the back in the subway). The Contra is a godsend, though. So light small and loud...

This message has been edited by Mike Smith on 04-14-2001 at 04:42 PM

• 4 weeks later...

More on Eden Nemesis 210

Just finished community-theater gig, Beatles retrospective show. Band had 3 guitars, drums, keyboards, and two horns. We weren't playing loud, but we weren't tiptoeing, either.

My new Nemesis passed this test with flying colors. The preamp works fine, it dialed in good tone in a boomy old Town Hall seating 200. The built in DI is quiet and worked great. At one point the drummer looked over in surprise when I hit a low Eb a little too loud.

I have been following Ed's "ultimate amp" thread, daydreaming about something like a Mackie 1400, SansAmp DI, and Eden D210XLT setup. Sure, it would sound a little louder and deeper, but it would weigh twice as much and cost twice as much. In reality, having the Nemesis, it's pretty hard for me to justify as anything but GAS...

The light weight and small size of the Nemesis made a real difference during rehearsals for the show, too, since I carried it back and forth from rehearsals to home without a second thought. None of that temptation to leave the rig at the hall for "just a few days" until the next rehearsal, when I actually needed it at home to practice during those same few days.

Archived