Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lots of Questions!

Lee Flier

I can see Carol's point. I used to do the foam under the strings thing, but it's very tricky to get the right amount of muting. If the foam is too thick, it mutes too much of the string response. It has to be angled just right to get an even amount of muting from each string. I haven't tried the felt thing she suggests, I think that would be good if you are going to commit to that sound all the time (at least on one particular bass). I can't always use that sound, so instead I do the muting with my palm. It's a little awkward at first, but once mastered, it allows for a very adjustable sound. It's like having continuos control of the muting. I wrote an article on this technique in '96 www.bassplayer.com/trenches/thumb.shtml

I have included a re-worked version of this with lots of cool tracks to play along to in my new book, The Working Bassist's Toolkit (BackBeat Books). The book is very close to being printed, we're going over the page layouts this week, so stay tuned!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Ed - I`m aware of all the articles you wrote for Bass Player and

I have the issue about hand muting (in order to get an upright sound etc).

I also have two or three of your bass books with CD`s - great stuff.

I don`t think you`re so much into chord theory as Carol Kaye?

Ola

Ola,

I'm glad you have some of my books and they are useful. If you look at Building Walking Bass Lines, you'll see a section on arpeggiation, I think chord tones are very important to know and use, but not exclusively. If you happen to have Bass Improvisation, you'll see quite a bit on using arpeggios as well. "Chord theory" is very important, but it's just one aspect of understanding music. To keep a balanced approach, I also like to talk about major and minor modes, as well as other things.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Mo Thumper:

>>>Originally posted by nhcomp45@aol.com:

Hi Lee, playing with a pick will limit your sound. I keep the fingernails on my right hand almost an eighth of an inch long and can pull the strings on an upward stroke or stum a chord up or down.....<<<

Damn I hate it when I break a nail... there is a certain tone produced by this technique.

I play with my fingernails too...wonder how many of us do that?

I picked it up from my idol Abraham Laboriel, about 10 years ago. Took a while to adjust my timing to the extra finger length.

But I still use a pick and flatwound strings on my 4001, and mute with my palm. The mute system on the 4001 takes too much bottom out of the tone for my taste, and I like to be able to play long notes inbetween http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

One of the main reasons I do it, is to get that very precise attack...but it still sounds nothing like a pick.

Another benefit, is that you need less top end to get a defined attack, and can slide a lot more without so much fretnoise...so very soft playing, but still with good definition.

Also like to use the nail on my thumb, together with the first two fingers...gives great control of muting.

Would be interesting to hear from other nail players.

When I have female students, I tell them right away to lose the nails. There may be one or two weeks of playing with them, but once they hear/feel the difference, they cut them. I would say that using nails for part of your sound is more of an advanced or informed choice and not for people just starting out.

-David R.

-David R.

Originally posted by dxr@iname.com:

When I have female students, I tell them right away to lose the nails. There may be one or two weeks of playing with them, but once they hear/feel the difference, they cut them. I would say that using nails for part of your sound is more of an advanced or informed choice and not for people just starting out.

-David R.

Hey, now isn't that a sexist assumption that only females would have this problem? Don't guys like to have long, luxurious nail too? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Actually, I have had mostly guy students with their nails too long, they don't have to be back-scratchers to be audible!

------------------

www.edfriedland.com

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Ed Friedland:

Hey, now isn't that a sexist assumption that only females would have this problem? Don't guys like to have long, luxurious nail too?

I had a young male student with long nails. Kind of a Marylin Manson thing. I suggested he might have a MUCH EASIER time playing if he cut them. When he showed up for the next lesson, he had been "too busy" to do it. Needless to say, practicing had been an even lower priority. Ah, youth...

I've heard tales of people (established pro's even!) using their fingernails to pluck the strings. If it works for them, I say the more power to 'em. I myself am not going to go anywhere that technique!! I play relatively hard, those strings are thick, and let's just say that outward pressure on the fingernails is not one of my favorite sensations.

Also, wouldn't using your finger nails tend to sound like you were using a pick. Not to mention trying to play after ripping a nail half off. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

David

(still a wannabe)

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,

but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "&$%^, what a ride". - Doug Berlin

Techniques!

Why, when I first started out in '68, it was on my Gibson EBO, using just the thumb for pluck'n them strangs! That was what that little wood thang on the pickguard was for right!? Pickguard!? Oh yea, after the thumb blister got the size of a quarter ya hadta use a pick, if ya could hang onto it! Felt picks can get a pretty cool sound but make a mess and breakup pretty fast. Medium and heavy picks became my standard for about three years. I was playing mostly rock at the time but started getting into jazz, oops you can't have a truly walking bass line using a pick (I thought, eventhough I watched Carol Kaye do it at a seminar), so it was time to get some fingerstyle chops...a decade seems to pass... Stanley is on the scene, I'm doing sound with a ten piece horn band, the bass player's doing the flight of the bumblebee stuff with his four fingernails...another decade passes...I'm doing oakland pick to "Drivin' My Life Away" in a CW Band...another decade passes...I'm building a home studio, checking out this board, and enjoy using whatever techniques to get the sound I'm looking for..."My Sound", FWIW, find "Your Sound", copy tunes get boring really fast!...Happy Playing!

no matter where you go, there you are...

http://johnnypistolaband.com

• 4 years later...

Archived