Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Writing for the waste basket

I heard recently that a famous songwriter, Johnny Mercer I think, used to write for the waste basket. That blew my mind because of how much sense it made.

I think after hearing a song that seems so perfect, people get the impression that it was written the way it was played- in a short flash of inspiration. But we songwriters realize exactly how much editing can be needed. And if we don't, we usually should :)

So I've decided to write just for writings sake. I'm not trying to create the next timeless masterpiece anymore. I'm just figuring out what it is that I want to communicate and then writing, writing and writing some more. I'm becoming very prolific this way. I edit after the writing is finished and I feel so much more creative.

Hope this helps somebody out there.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard other songwriters mention this. Authors too. Sounds like a good way to clear out all the loose crap clogging your mind and getting down to the good stuff. Sorta like clearing out the 'fridge or the attic!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Personally when I write, the greatest parts always seem to flow uncontrollably, then stop just as unpredictably. Its when I try to force completion of a thought/song, that I am at my worst. So, I have just gotten into the habit of writing when I feel it... Its tough, because when not writing, I feel unproductive, but forcing myself only wastes time... Kind of an odd paradox really... :rolleyes: Its also tough sometimes, to get back into the same frame of mind that I might have been in at the moment of inception...

"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress

... But I repeat myself."

-Mark Twain

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/63/condition_1.html (my old band)

Archived