Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Taylor brightness?

Right now I have a Taylor 510ce (with fishman pickup) and elixer strings. Its sounds really tinny and bright to me. I have tried all sorts of preamps and amps to warm up the sound a bit. I have heard that this is how taylors tend to be. I really want a nice acoustic sound without the "bite" of the tinny sound. Any suggestions? Different strings..? I have heard that elixers tend to be bright. Also I have heard that fishman pickups tend to be bright too... anyone had any success trying to warm up the sound? Dave

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by KikkyMonk: [b]Right now I have a Taylor 510ce (with fishman pickup) and elixer strings. Its sounds really tinny and bright to me. I have tried all sorts of preamps and amps to warm up the sound a bit. I have heard that this is how taylors tend to be. [/quote][/b] Is this Taylor equipped with a bridge pickup only, or a mic/pickup blender? I am not happy with the Fishman pickup, although I wouldn't describe most of those I've used as "tinny" You might want to have someone check out the electronics. Of course, YOU should check the battery. Nothing worse for timbre, low end specifically, then a weak battery. [quote][b]I really want a nice acoustic sound without the "bite" of the tinny sound. Any suggestions? Different strings..? [i]I have heard that elixers tend to be bright.[/i] Also I have heard that fishman pickups tend to be bright too... anyone had any success trying to warm up the sound? Dave[/b][/quote] Actually, Elixir strings tend [i]not[/i] to be as bright as most other strings. They simply [i]stay[/i] consistant in timbre far longer than other strings. They start out less bright, but far from dead, then stay that way a LONG time. I use them with my L.R. Baggs equipped Blueridge guitar. (A cheap, but solid, Chinese built guitar.) They sound great. I'm one of those who's sweat yields a lot of dirt on strings. The polyweb on Elixir strings keeps the dirt from muting the high end on the strings. My only complaint about the Fishman pickup is that it tends to sound far less acoustic than the Baggs Ribbon transducer. The Fish emphasizes the fundamental too much, and not enough harmonic content of the guitar. Still decent pickups, though. My 2 cents. ------------------ Neil [b]Reality[/b]: [i]A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.[/i]

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Taylor guitars have reputation of having very balanced sound, without emphasize on any frequencies, and this lack of extreme low end is probalby the reason why you find its tone "tinny", but others would qualify it "modern sounding". I don't know how old your guitar is, but if it is brand new, it will have to open up by being played. I find guitars always cold and tinny when new, but the wood on thsi class of guitars tends to get mature with time and the sound will be better. Besides, electric-acoustic guitars often sould more "closed" than pure acoustics, but this characteritic is important to avoid feedback when amplified. I think you should wait a little bit, and find the tweak on the EQ that will give your guitar a fuller tone. Nevertheless, this high class guitar may also simply not suit you, and not represent what you are looking for in terms of guitar sound, this is extremely personal Alex.

I would try the Sans Amp Acoustic DI.I twarms up the piezo sound and has many other handt applications.You won't regret it. [quote]Originally posted by KikkyMonk: [b]Right now I have a Taylor 510ce (with fishman pickup) and elixer strings. Its sounds really tinny and bright to me. I have tried all sorts of preamps and amps to warm up the sound a bit. I have heard that this is how taylors tend to be. I really want a nice acoustic sound without the "bite" of the tinny sound. Any suggestions? Different strings..? I have heard that elixers tend to be bright. Also I have heard that fishman pickups tend to be bright too... anyone had any success trying to warm up the sound? Dave[/b][/quote]

You can also warm up the sound by switching to heavier gauge strings. 010's and 009s will sound thinner (way too thin for me) than 011's or 012's. I find with 011's, I'm usually OK, but if I'm doing a heavy strumming part, then I'll go to 012s (all these are for the high E string, of course). ------------------ Larry W.
Larry W.

Archived